At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
As a Lead Systems Software Engineering Consultant, you will undertake strategic analysis, planning, design, and deployment of infrastructure/software solutions, with responsibility for managing risk as related to technology decisions. You will: partner with architecture, providing subject matter expertise for buy, rent and build decisions. Review and validate design and documentation of infrastructure and systems software requirements; resolve escalated service management issues; create and proactively promote adherence to engineering best practices to improve infrastructure and systems software solutions and services, reduce ongoing maintenance costs, and improve scalability and reliability; interact with technology and business units to lead and resolve unique or complex service management issues. Both a leader and a team player, you take ownership of issues; you demand excellence of yourself and tend to bring out in those around you.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 8 years experience in Systems Administration or Systems Engineering.
- Experience should include demonstrated expertise in: 1. Service Management (ITIL)
- Engineering standards and best practices
- Developing estimates for support or projects
- Proven ability to influence, negotiate and persuade vendors, team members, othertechnology areas and business clients.
- Proven ability to lead teams through complex technical decisions and build consensus around technical direction.
- Ability to set priorities for scope, risk and quality of technology solutions to meet business needs
- Proven ability to effectively communicate issues and solutions across all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to train, coach and mentor others on system design and development practices
- Experience with agile techniques
- Minimum 7 years experience working with Life Insurance systems (batch and online), products and operations
- Proven ability to create standard development practices
Req ID: 4241
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 12/29/2015