GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES - The File Clerk is responsible for the organization of the file area, retrieving and filing of paper patient records within the HIM Department, retrieving and reconciling medical records from ancillary departments and nursing units, copying medical records, and processing of loose reports. Facility File Clerks will also be responsible for training physicians on Portal/hCare, reviewing and obtaining documentation for unbilled accounts. Processing accounts assigned to facility HPF work queues. The Facility File Clerk is responsible for scanning and indexing late documentation received in the HIM department. DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Retrieves discharged medical records from various nursing units and ancillary departments
- Assists in reconciling retrieved medical records against patient discharge listings to ensure receipt of all records within twenty-four (24) hours of discharge/visit
- Routes loose reports and/or late documentation to HSC Document Imaging area for scanning
- Scans and indexes loose reports/documents that are identified as critical to coding
- Pulls 60 facility paper medical records per hour as requested by customer(s)
- Files and/or re-files120 facility paper medical records per hour as required
- Requests and returns paper records from off-site storage as applicable
- Retrieves and prints medical records from microfilm (as applicable)
- Trains physicians on Portal/hCare
- Processes accounts in assigned facility HPF work queues/routers
- Opens HIM mail and routes medical record requests to HIM document scanning
- Photocopies paper medical records as directed by the ROI staff
- Assists in the processing of walk-in requests for Release of Information
- Maintains or exceeds established productivity standards while achieving or exceeding established requirements for accuracy
- Assists in maintaining all equipment and supplies required in the provision of services in optimum operational status
- Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Adaptability - maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; able to adapt to change in environment and/or circumstances with a positive outlook; and adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures
- Energy - consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time
- Communication - communicates clearly, proactively and concisely with all key stakeholders
- Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
- Work Independently - is self-supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job
- Organization - establishing courses of action to ensure that work is completed efficiently; proactively prioritizes assignments and keen ability to multi-task
- Quality Orientation -accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time
- PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required
- High school diploma or equivalency
- 1 year experience in an office environment preferred
- Previous experience in the handling of patient health information and/or medical records is strongly preferred
About HCA Inc.
HCA, the nation's leading provider of healthcare, has a 160,000-employee workforce with positions in a variety of fields, including nursing, human resources, information technology and shared services. Most importantly, each employee is a valued member of the HCA family.
As an employee at an HCA-affiliated facility, your potential for achievement, fulfillment and career growth are substantial. HCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to workforce diversity.