A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, providing incredible service goes beyond ensuring the finest products are available for customers. In our Create-A-Cake department, incredible service means taking it a step further and adding personal touches on our delicious baked goods especially for our customers. As a Customer Service Create-a-Cake team member, you’ll be responsible for decorating, frosting and filling cakes and other bakery treats as well as adding those personal touches to customer orders. If you enjoy working with food and creating for others, this could be the position for you.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers, answering any questions they have about products or services offered, taking orders in person and over the phone and personalizing their cakes
- Working with team members to ensure all tasks on the production list are completed and customer orders are filled by the promised time to avoid situations where customers have to wait; utilizing strong time management skills to effectively balance and complete tasks
- Following Wegmans core recipes when making a variety of frostings, creams, and fillings, producing a consistent outcome that meets Wegmans high standards of quality
- Learning and practicing proper filling, frosting and decorating techniques
- Thawing, baking off, frosting, decorating and packaging a variety of cakes and baked goods, being sure to follow recipes and department job aides while putting a creative and artistic touch to personalize products for customers
- Ensuring the freshest products are available for customers throughout the day by maintaining product levels in well-merchandised cases, rotating for freshness and pulling outdated products
- Properly handling products and equipment in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired productknowledge
- Learn, use and be able to explain Wegmans sanctioned cookingtechniques to assist customers for their success at home
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a bakery, patisserie or other food service industry
- Cake decorating experience
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive and sustained hand and arm movements, grasping, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1 – 10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 35 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to various allergens and work environments including cold, freezing and hot temperatures
- Work includes the safe and proper handling of cake-decorating equipments and mixers
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.