A glimpse at the job:
Our Overnight Grocery team members are the people behind the scenes playing an integral role in supporting the store’s daytime operations. As a team leader in this department, you’ll work closely with the crew, managing and helping develop their skills. You’ll assist in ensuring the department is running smoothly and products are out on the shelves. If you’re a night owl who enjoys leading others to accomplish tasks within deadlines, then an Overnight Grocery Team Leader position could be for you!
I will add value by:
- Performing tasks essential to the proper functioning of the department including keeping a simplified backroom, ordering with Simplification practices in mind, hiring & staffing, training & development, scheduling and managing payroll
- Delegating tasks to team members and empowering them to take on new challenges, being certain to provide timely feedback and annual performance reviews that focus on their growth and professional development
- Leading employees by example to complete tasks that include: stocking, refilling and rotating items on shelves; walking aisles; unloading deliveries and breaking down skids, ensuring resources are utilized and tasks are completed within designated timeframes
- Approaching customers to assist them in locating products and seeking to offer solutions to questions or concerns
- Working with team to break down delivery skids, place products to be shelved onto runners, sort back stock onto pallets and maximize workspace
- Maintaining open lines of communication with the Overnight manager and team members as well as the day Grocery team to ensure pertinent information is shared and tasks are completed in the most efficient manner
- Supporting other departments by unloading their overnight deliveries and placing skids in their designated area of the backroom
- Reshopping misplaced products, shrinking out damaged goods and refilling missing items to ensure product levels are maintained and aisles are kept in pristine shopping condition
- Educating and ensuring team members are properly handling products and equipment in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines, aiming to reduce the amount of damage goods and shrink
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Understand, recognize and implement the company values; striving to make a difference by empowering employees and promoting high standards and excellence in all areas (Who We Are)
- Use performance and career development tools to manage and develop others, working with employees to set and achieve individual and department goals
- Practice proper planningandstaffing techniques which include managing time and resources
- Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
- Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
- Control inventory levels and expenses such as payroll and shrink to impact bottom-line contribution (profit) for the department
- Ability to multi-task and react to a variety of situations at one time
- Practice proper ordering techniques to complete orders by deadlines and participate in inventory process to ensure items are available to support merchandising programs and product promotions
- Exhibit merchandising skills by attractively displaying products considering seasonality, cross-merchandising opportunities and corporate programs with the aim of educating and enticing customers
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Managerial/ supervisory experience
- Experience working overnight hours
- Work includes kneeling, frequent heavy lifting, repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting 20 – 50 pounds of product on a frequent basis with an occasional need to lift over 50 pounds
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Will spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.