What is my job:
At Wegmans our commitment to incredible service starts with ensuring the safety of our customers, employees and visitors at all of our facilities. In the role of the Parking Lot Security Officer you will work at our Amherst Street Wegmans store helping to provide a safe and secure store environment for customers and employees by remaining highly visible and approachable in an effort to deter undesirable activity. Our customers and employees will depend on you to ensure their experiences at Wegmans live up to the high standards and expectations we have set. If you are looking for a role that contributes to the entire store operations and allows you to protect some of Wegmans most important assets, this could be the position for you!
How do I make a difference?
Providing Incredible, Knowledge Based Service
- Consistently provide professional and helpful services in a courteous manner
- Maintain a highly visible profile including standing at the front door, and surveying the store and outside parking areas
- Conduct employee and customer escorts, as requested, in a proactive manner
- Intervene and diffuse customer conflicts effectively
- Inspect perimeter doors, windows and gates to maintain high levels of store security
- Respond to service requests during emergency situations and document all incidents involving customers and employees
- Visibly observe customers and employees in an effort to deter undesirable activity in and around the store
- Monitor and report any irregularities (fire hazards, spills, etc.) and any other unsafe conditions immediately
Living Who We Are
- Support, encourage, and respect co-workers
- Work with supervisor to set and achieve goals for professional development
- Comply with Wegmans Policies and Work Rules, as well as, federal and state laws
- Maintain open lines of communication with supervisors and coworkers to ensure the most efficient operations in the department
What skills, learnings, and experiences are required?
- Working knowledge of applicable NYS Laws and Regulations including fire and safety regulations
- Knowledge of company and departmental policies and procedures
- Successful Completion of NYS Security Guard Licensing (New York locations only)
- Proven ability to problem solve and effectively manage conflict
- Ability to use good judgment and make difficult decisions that affect the safety and wellbeing of others
- Ability to maintain effective communication and composure in a stressful environment
- Always acts with Integrity and Trust when dealing with customers & employees
- Living Who We Are values by caring about the well-being of every person, having high standards as a way of life, making a difference in the communities we serve, respecting and listening to others and making decisions that benefit our customers and company
- Possess teamwork & diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Provide incredible service and gain the trust and respect of others by providing accurate information and responding to situations in a timely manner, listening carefully and acting with customers in mind
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food & human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Possess data entry skills and can easily navigate between computer screens, interpret and input information correctly utilizing proper keyboard techniques, treating company and other sensitive material with professionalism and confidentiality
- Inform others using various communication tools to provide meaningful, accurate information people need to make decisions
- Relate well to others using interpersonal savvy to foster two-way communication and develop effective relationships; recognize differences in communication styles and maintain composure
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible
What skills, learnings, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart?
- Law Enforcement or extensive security experience
- Criminal Justice or related degree
- Work includes sitting and/or standing for up to 4 hours without a break, walking, occasional bending and reaching, along with continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced enclosed environment. The average weight range of items lifted is 10-25 pounds with a maximum weight of force applied of greater than 50 pounds rarely. May be exposed to various allergens.
- May operate company vehicle
- To maintain this position selected applicant must be able to successfully complete the following requirements: NYS Security Guard registration, AED/CPR/First Aid training & certification; successful completion of applicable AP University training, including an evaluation process
- This position may require driving a Wegmans vehicle. Candidates may need to submit a Driver's Abstract.
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen, physical and/or criminal background check.
- All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed.