A glimpse at the job:
As part of the Maintenance team, you’ll play an integral part in maintaining the overall appearance of the store and assist departments in their quest to leave a lasting impression on customers. You will be responsible for ensuring impeccably clean departments and restrooms as well as creating an overall environment that enhances all Wegmans has to offer. You’ll take pride in having your work be on display for every person to see when they walk into the store.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by keeping the store in pristine condition and up to Wegmans standards as well as assisting customers in locating items throughout the store and answering any questions they might have
- Promptly responding to all maintenance calls; attending to spills, breaks or other accidents as well as changing light bulbs, unclogging drains, etc.
- Completing all assigned tasks including cleaning and restocking restrooms, vacuuming carpets, sweeping floors, emptying garbage cans, cleaning windows in the vestibule, cleaning offices, maintenance of conference rooms and other jobs to be determined by store needs
- Performing preventative maintenance on equipment, machinery and throughout the store in general; identifying any potential dangers or hazards and reporting them to the Maintenance Coordinator, Front End Manager, Service and/ or Merchandising Manager
- Maintaining open lines of communication with team members and filling out cleaning logs to ensure all tasks get completed throughout the day, recognizing your role as a part of a bigger team
- Performing sidewalk and/or parking lot maintenance, particularly during inclement weather, and completing all logs associated with winter maintenance tasks
- Keeping an organized, well-stocked and simplified supply room and maintenance station, ensuring supplies are available to quickly answer a maintenance call
- Safely and properly handling all equipment, machinery and chemicals needed to complete tasks
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others’ points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible.
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Custodial/ janitorial experience
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, lifting, bending and reaching
- Tasks require working with cleaning chemicals and materials
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1 – 10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds rarely
- Work is primarily performed indoors but may be exposed to some seasonal outdoor temperatures and weather
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand without a break for up to 4 hours
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.