A glimpse at the job:
We recognize how important it is to give customers the incredible service they deserve from the moment they enter the store until the final transaction takes place at checkout. If you enjoy interacting with people, handling monetary exchanges and assisting others, you could be a Wegmans cashier! You’ll recognize your role as the final ingredient to making a great impression and will pride yourself on providing incredible service - just as we have.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by engaging customers in conversation using effective communication skills such as direct eye contact and a smile to build a rapport based on trust and satisfaction
- Performing all steps in the checkout process including scanning and bagging items at a rate that meets store requirements, accepting and processing different forms of payment and making accurate change to ensure no overages or shortages of money.
- Performing proper bagging techniques to ensure products arrive at their destination in the condition they left the store. This includes practicing food safety techniques by bagging food and non-food items separately, correct product placement and other safety techniques demonstrated during cashier training
- Easily assisting customers in locating products by understanding and familiarizing self with store layout and solving problems quickly
- Emphasizing additional services such as carryout assistance
- Maintaining a clean, organized, and well-stocked work space
- Upholding state regulations during the sale of alcohol with no exceptions or violations
- Reporting any problems, questions or concerns to the Team Leader or Front End Coordinator with teamwork and continuous learning methods in mind
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others’ points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible.
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a grocery or retail setting
- Experience using a cash register
- Experience handling cash or other forms of tender
- Write and speak clearly, concisely, and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment.
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, occasional bending, frequent reaching, moving and lifting
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 3 – 8 pounds of product with the maximum weight lifted of 40 pounds occasionally
- Will spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand without a break for up to 4 hours
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.