A glimpse at the job:
The Deli department is where customers can find a wide variety of meats and cheeses to help make a delicious sandwich, get ideas for easy entertaining options or countless other meal solutions and suggestions. As a Customer Service team member in this department, you will be part of the team responsible for providing customers with all that and more. If you’re looking for the opportunity to work closely with team members and customers, helping accomplish tasks and ensure incredible service, this could be the position for you!
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers at the counter; slicing, weighing and packaging a variety of items as requested; answering any questions about products or services offered
- Slicing a variety of the department’s most popular meats and cheeses throughout the day to maintain product levels on wafer trays, ensuring the most efficient customer service at the counter
- Working with team members to maintain the overall appearance of the department; ensuring cases are well-merchandised and properly signed to showcase quality and supplies are available to complete tasks efficiently
- Unloading and breaking down deliveries; stocking cases and coolers with products; refilling to meet customer needs and rotating for freshness
- Following Wegmans core recipes and job aides when preparing party trays and a variety of meat products for use in the Prepared Foods department, producing a consistent outcome that meets Wegmans standards for quality
- Properly handling products, using equipment and keeping accurate logs in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired productknowledge
- Learn, use and be able to explain Wegmans sanctioned cookingtechniques to assist customers for their success at home
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Experience working in a deli and/ or using a deli slicer
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 5 – 20 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 35 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to various allergens and work environments, including cold temperatures
- Work requires the safe and proper handling of slicers, knives and other kitchen utensils and equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.