Calling all Restaurant Cooks!
Want a job you’ll LOVE?
If you are a skilled line cook with supervisory experience and you are looking for a rewarding new career path, join the Wegmans team! We are looking for cooks to oversee a culinary team and to provide our customers with healthy and great tasting meals! As a part of our culinary management team you will oversee one of our exciting areas which could range from our chef case, our specialty food bars (including Asian food, vegetarian fare) Sushi and our ala carte restaurant areas. As a leader in our culinary areas, you will oversee the training and development of your team while managing food safety and sanitation and supporting department financials. This entry-level leadership position is an excellent opportunity for you to develop your management skills while still remaining in a hands-on cooking role.
What are the expectations of this role?
• Positive Role Model
• Team player
• Leads, trains and supervises a team
• Organizational and culinary skills to maximize production efficiency
• Advanced cooking skill and mechanics, culinary terminology, techniques
• Advanced food safety knowledge
• Leadership qualities to oversee operation in absence of Sous Chef
• Seeks additional responsibility
• Utilizes & understands Information Technology tools to effectively manage the business / production
• Ensuring products are prepared with a consistent, high quality outcome by following Wegmans core recipes and cooking techniques and educating team members on those practices.
• Maintaining the overall appearance of the department ensuring product levels are sustained throughout the day and food is well-merchandised to showcase quality and increase sales.
What are the Job Requirements?
As a cook, you must be a dependable, hard-working, hands-on individual who is passionate about food and committed to the highest standards of food quality. You must also be a strong leader with exceptional culinary skills as well as the ability to teach those skills to others. It is also important that you have excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills and a positive and engaging personality that allows you to easily connect with both employees and customers.
• Two or more years of combined experience working as a prep cook, line cook or lead cook in a high volume prepared foods/restaurant environment
• Developing others by providing encouragement to folks to take on tasks that challenge them and align with their personal career goals while holding frequent development discussions using performance and career development tools to coach employees who need help and further development
• Demonstrating an ability to manage others by working with employees to set and achieve goals, rewarding performance while exercising courage when providing honest, timely, and actionable feedback
• Control inventory levels and expenses such as payroll and shrink to impact bottom-line contribution (profit) for the department
• Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
• Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
• Practice proper planning and staffing techniques which include managing time and resources
• Maintain a safety focus by ensuring safety standards are followed, teaching safety practices to employees, looking for ways to improve safety, solving safety problems, and looking for ways to exceed safety standards and reduce risk potential
• Practice proper ordering techniques to complete orders by deadlines and participate in inventory process to ensure items are available to support merchandising programs and product promotions
• Exhibit merchandising skills by attractively displaying products considering seasonality, cross-merchandising opportunities and corporate programs with the aim of educating and enticing customers
Assist with meal preparation and planning by providing customers with proper serving guidelines and recommending correct cooking techniques, helping to make great meals easy
Work includes walking, standing for up to 4 hours without a break, repetitive hand and arm movements, bending, reaching, frequent lifting, and occasional heavy lifting, along with continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment. Work involves exposure to various work environments, including temperature changes. The average weight range of items lifted is 5–20 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds rarely. May be exposed to various allergens (things that may cause an allergic reaction).
Looking for Career Growth?
As a Cook with Wegmans, you will be part of a growing family-owned company that has consistently appeared on Fortune Magazine’s list of the best places to work in America! We are committed to employee development and you, too will find plenty of opportunities for advancement with us, including positions such as a Culinary Management Trainee, Sous Chef or beyond. Working hands-on in the kitchen with our Executive Chefs you will strengthen your culinary skills and on-the-job mentoring in order to provide you with an opportunity to grow with us.
Watch our Video!
Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed
Similar positions include: Chef, Tournant, Roundsman, Chef de partie, Line Cook, Station Cook, Garde Manger, Head Chef, Kitchen Manager, Lead Cook, Lead Chef, Cook, Boucher, Pantry Chef, Legumier, Potager, Entremetier, Friturier, Grilladrin, Rotisseur, Saucier, Chef de partie, Line Cook, Station Cook, Saute Chef, Prep Cook, Short Order Cook, Grill Cook, Fry Cook, Banquet Cook