What is my job:
The job of a Cook II is to create menu items and ensure guests are presented with a meal they can’t receive elsewhere. In this position, the Cook II uses a passion for preparing food to develop the skills and talents needed to succeed in a restaurant setting.
Note to Applicant:
Must be available evenings, nights and weekends
How do I make a difference?
Making high quality products available for guests
• Working to ensure incredible service is provided to guests by effectively handling a variety of tasks including consistently preparing ingredients to be used by the culinary team as well as creating high quality meals
• Following proper recipes, knife skills and cooking techniques when prepping ingredients and preparing a variety of menu items to produce a consistent final outcome
• Prioritizing tasks in the kitchen when prepping, executing and breaking down kitchen station; ensuring items are prepared on time and all the items for a table are completed simultaneously so the integrity of the food is maintained when servers present the meal to guests
• Prepping, executing and breaking down kitchen stations; performing opening and/ or closing procedures in the kitchen to prepare for that day’s or the following day’s work with the aim of ensuring the most efficient operations
• Effectively multitasking and balancing prep work while ensuring guests meals are prepared in a timely manner with the highest standards of quality maintained
• Properly handling products, using equipment and keeping accurate logs in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines, as well as complying with applicable State Restaurant Health Code Regulations
Learning and growing
• Working with Sous Chef and Restaurant Executive Chef to focus on growth and professional development; learning duties and responsibilities of the job to better assist in performing tasks essential to the proper functioning of the kitchen
What skills, learnings, and experiences are required?
Experience working as a Cook III or prep cook/ apprentice cook
Ability to follow directions and recipes
• Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
• Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
• Properly handle, prepare, transport and products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
• Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
• Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired product knowledge
• Learn, use and be able to explain proper cooking techniques
• Possess culinary knife skills which include safely using knives; sharpening and honing the edges of knives; and using them to chop, dice, julienne and mince
What skills, learnings, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart? Associates or Bachelors degree in Culinary Arts
Experience working as a line cook
Work includes standing, walking for prolonged periods of time without a break, repetitive hand and arm movements, bending, reaching, frequent lifting, and occasional heavy lifting, along with continuous interaction with guests and co-workers in a fast-paced environment. Work involves exposure to various work environments, including temperature changes. The average weight range of items lifted is 5–10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds occasionally. May be exposed to various allergens (things that may cause an allergic reaction).
• Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
• All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed
• A cook-test will be administered to determine skill set and ability to efficiently create a dish that will fit Next Door Bar and Grill’s food style, volume, creativeness and food cost parameters