What is my job:
Installs, repairs and maintains all types of equipment, lighting, electrical generation and distribution systems. Completes performance and maintenance records on distribution equipment and preventive operations. Assists other trades (Plumbing, Equipment Repair, Refrigeration, etc.) within the department, with electrical problems they may encounter.
Note to Applicant:
Must have a flexible availability to include nights, weekends, holidays and on call.
How do I make a difference?
• Performs preventive maintenance on electrical and lighting equipment, including all skilled tasks associated with wiring and assembly of components within the equipment being repaired. Fabricates parts as required using machining & hand tools common to the trade
• Reads and thoroughly understands electrical schematics, one line diagrams, building equipment, electrical plans and equipment. Calculates voltage drops, equipment loads, wire size, conduit size, and overcurrent protection, and follows national electric codes rules and NEMA devises to properly connect power to new equipment
• Follows logical approach to electrical troubleshooting that insures the ability to diagnose and repair electrical problems with any type of equipment. Determines best practice for repair work and assess downtime with store personnel
• Plans all details of new equipment installations or rearrangements including layout and purchase of materials, coordination with other trades, scheduling with store management, and provides an estimate of cost as requested
• Completes assignments in a timely, safe and cost effective manner with little or no supervision
• Creates and maintains records on all equipment worked on, and maintains inventory of service vehicle to minimize unnecessary delays in completing assigned jobs
• Manages emergency situations and maintains communication with store personnel regarding status and severity of events. Works confidently and is capable of making decisions and communicating results regarding life safety issues in emergency situations (power failure, electrical fire, etc.) to minimize the risk of that event and safely restore power to affected equipment or system.
• Understands and follows all required safety procedures in order to complete tasks, including ‘lock-out tag-out’
What skills, learning’s, and experiences are required?
• Position requires at least 10 years of electrical commercial field experience, as well as a Master Electrician’s license or NYS Journeymen’s certificate
• Sound knowledge of electricity, controls and motors, as well as all types of lighting
• Knowledge of high voltage distribution design, including generators, high voltage transformers and switchgear
• Knowledge of layout and design techniques
• Able to read and understand electrical blueprints and other related technical documents
• Knowledgeable on regulatory and safety standards applicable to area of responsibility
• Living Who We Are values by caring about the well-being of every person, having high standards as a way of life, making a difference in the communities we serve, respecting and listening to others and making decisions that benefit our customers and company
• Possess teamwork & diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
• Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
• Provide incredible service and gain the trust and respect of others by providing accurate information and responding to situations in a timely manner, listening carefully and acting with customers in mind
• Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food & human safety practices are strictly adhered to
• Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
• Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
• Possess data entry skills and can easily navigate between computer screens, interpret and input information correctly utilizing proper keyboard techniques, treating company and other sensitive material with professionalism and confidentiality
• Inform others using various communication tools to provide meaningful, accurate information people need to make decisions
• Relate well to others using interpersonal savvy to foster two-way communication and develop effective relationships; recognize differences in communication styles and maintain composure
• Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible
• Maintain a safety focus by ensuring safety standards are followed, teaching safety practices to employees, looking for ways to improve safety, solving safety problems, and looking for ways to exceed safety standards and reduce risk potential
What skills, learning’s, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart?
• Certificate of completion from an accredited electrical apprenticeship program
• OSHA 10-hour General Industry card
• Knowledge of arc flash requirements and related safety protocol including proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) selection
• Duties are performed primarily in the stores, including backrooms, roof, crawlspaces, or wherever equipment or facilities exist. Work includes walking standing, repetitive hand & arm movement, heavy lifting (up to 55lbs) bending and stretching. Work also includes the use / operation of various power equipment and tools.
• Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
• Must submit to a Driver's Abstract and may be subject to evidence of satisfactory completion of a recognized driver training program
• All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed