What is my job:
The Equipment Mechanic is responsible for repairing and performing preventative maintenance on all food production equipment in the food markets. This position will also be responsible for oversight, follow through and coordination where needed with equipment contractors.
How do I make a difference?
Providing Incredible, Knowledge Based Service
- Repair food production equipment for both emergency and non-emergency situations. Perform unsupervised repairs on equipment using appropriate troubleshooting and safety techniques.
- Work effectively with a team, assisting other personnel as necessary to ensure all tasks are completed in a timely manner
- Communicate effectively with team members, supervisors, and customers
- Maintain Wegmans high standards of quality and incredible customer service at all times
Continuously Improving Results
- Determine best practices for repair work and assesses downtime with store personnel
- Perform preventative maintenance on food production equipment
- Perform all other associated skilled tasks such sheet metal fabrication, assembly of components, and part fabrication
- Create and maintain records on all equipment worked on
- Understand and comply with food and human safety procedures while performing maintenance tasks
- Repair various electrical systems with components such as switches, controls, relays, etc.
- Maintain truck inventory, working with parts procurement requirements
- Provide feedback regarding installation and design best practices to improve reliability and serviceability of all production equipment
Living Who We Are
- Support, encourage, and respect co-workers
- Work with supervisor to set and achieve goals for professional development
- Comply with Wegmans Policies and Work Rules, as well as, federal and state laws
- Maintain open lines of communication with supervisors and coworkers to ensure the most efficient operations in the department
What skills, learnings, and experiences are required?
- At least 10 years of food production equipment repair experience
- Technical training through apprenticeship, trade school, or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of controls, electricity and machine principles, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, lubrication and sealing
- Sound mechanical ability, as well as knowledge of welding, plumbing, AC and DC motors and gas combustion standards
- Knowledge of layout and design techniques
- Ability to work with sheet and solid metals, experienced in lathe, press and cutting operations
- Living Who We Are values by caring about the well-being of every person, having high standards as a way of life, making a difference in the communities we serve, respecting and listening to others and making decisions that benefit our customers and company
- Possess teamwork & diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Provide incredible service and gain the trust and respect of others by providing accurate information and responding to situations in a timely manner, listening carefully and acting with customers in mind
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Possess data entry skills and can easily navigate between computer screens, interpret and input information correctly utilizing proper keyboard techniques, treating company and other sensitive material with professionalism and confidentiality
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible
What skills, learnings, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart?
- Supermarket/Restaurant related experience
- Knowledge of company stores
- Will be exposed to climate changes; work is performed inside freezers, near bakery ovens, and on building rooftops. May be exposed to various allergens.
- Work includes walking, standing, repetitive hand and arm movements, heavy lifting (up to 55 pound objects), bending and stretching
- Work includes interaction with co-workers, store personnel, contractors and customers
- Work also includes the use/operation of various power equipment and tools as well as use of oils, lubricants, etc.
- Work includes use of all necessary technical gauges and equipment required to perform tasks
- Must be 18 years or older
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
- Will be required to submit to a Driver's Abstract and anyone driving a non-CDL type company vehicle may be subject to evidence of satisfactory completion of a recognized driver training program.
- All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed