A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, helping our customers make great meals easy includes providing the perfect accompaniments to complete their meal from departments like our Wine Shop. In the role of a Customer Service Wine Shop team member, you will ensure the finest wines are available for customers throughout the day and will offer suggestions for pairings – providing the perfect wine choices for whatever their needs may be. If you’re an outgoing people person looking for the opportunity to work closely with team members and customers while expanding your knowledge of the wine industry, this could be the position for you!
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers on the sales floor, making recommendations for food and wine pairings, helping locate items and answering any questions about products or services offered
- Setting up displays and merchandising products in innovative and eye-appealing ways to promote products, reflect Menu magazine themes, highlight seasonal influences and drive sales in the department
- Stocking shelves, rotating items and ensuring product levels are sustained throughout the day to meet customer needs
- Utilizing resources to expand knowledge about the wide variety of wines available in the department to grow and develop professionally, being certain to share acquired knowledge to better assist customers
- Performing all steps in the checkout process including properly scanning and bagging items at a rate that meets store requirements, accepting and processing different forms of payment and making accurate change to ensure no overages or shortages of money
- Providing tastings of wines to customers in the department; properly setting up and demo-ing products following wine sample programs and adhering to all state and Wegmans regulations; being sure to engage customers in the product, share knowledge and answer any questions
- Performing other tasks essential to the proper functioning of the department which may include breaking down delivery loads, refilling supplies, ordering products and general maintenance of the department
- Properly handling all product and equipment in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines with the aim of reducing shrink in the department
- Upholding state regulations and Wegmans policies during the sale of alcohol with no exceptions or violations
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuous learning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired product knowledge
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery, restaurant, retail or wine shop setting Ability to assist all customers in finding the perfect product for whatever their needs may be
- Knowledge of, passion for and experience working with wine
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting up to 40 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to some seasonal outdoor temperatures and weather
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.