A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, providing incredible service means ensuring the most knowledgeable and passionate people are working to educate our customers and get them the freshest products available. In the role of a Customer Service Seafood team member, you’ll be part of the team responsible for providing a variety of seafood and seafood products to customers. If you simply love fish and are looking for the opportunity to gain knowledge and share your passion with others, this could be the position for you.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers at the counter and on the sales floor; answering questions about products; filleting, weighing and packaging seafood as customers request
- Skinning, cleaning, filleting and cutting correct portion sizes of a variety of fish for presentation in seafood cases, being sure to follow correct practices to reduce the amount of waste
- Seeking to learn about products and practices in the department to grow and develop professionally, being certain to share acquired knowledge to better assist customers
- Setting up fresh seafood cases, ensuring products have proper signage and are well-merchandised following company standards; showcasing quality and freshness and driving sales in the department
- Unloading and breaking down deliveries; stocking refrigerator and freezer cases with products; refilling products to meet customer needs and rotating for freshness
- Working with team members to maintain the overall appearance of the department, ensuring display cases, scales and counters are cleaned
- Properly handling products, using equipment and keeping accurate logs in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired productknowledge
- Learn, use and be able to explain Wegmans sanctioned cookingtechniques to assist customers for their success at home
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Knowledge of, passion for and experience working with, seafood
- Experience utilizing a variety of cooking techniques
- Experience cutting fish
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 5 – 10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds rarely
- May be exposed to various allergens and work environments, including cold and hot temperatures
- Work requires the safe and proper handling of a variety of knives and other kitchen equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.