A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, Team Leaders lead and develop employees to ensure their departments are running efficiently, effectively and profitably. They focus on driving sales through innovative merchandising approaches, industry knowledge and technical expertise, as well as interviewing and selecting the best team members; developing their skills, passion and knowledge while equipping them with the tools needed to grow in their roles.
I will add value in the following Entry Level Management positions available at Wegmans:
Team Leader (TL):
Team Leaders are found in each department of the store. Whether overseeing a smaller department independently or assisting a department manager in a larger department. TLs all work closely with team members to develop the skills and knowledge needed to provide incredible customer service. They work to ensure products are available for customers, and displays are well-merchandised and eye-appealing. TLs lead employees by example to complete tasks in the department and best serve the needs of the customer and the store.
Team Leaders are found in the following departments; Merchandising departments, Pharmacy department (in some Wegmans stores); Perishable departments; Prepared Foods departments.
Perishable departments include: Bakery, Produce, Meat, Deli (Cold Cuts), Olde World Cheese, Floral and Seafood
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Understand, recognize and implement the company values; striving to make a difference by empowering employees and promoting high standards and excellence in all areas (Who We Are)
- Use performance and career development tools to manage and develop others, working with employees to set and achieve individual and department goals
- Practice proper planningandstaffing techniques which include managing time and resources
- Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
- Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
- Control inventory levels and expenses such as payroll and shrink to impact bottom-line contribution (profit) for the department
- Ability to multi-task and react to a variety of situations at one time
- Practice proper ordering techniques to complete orders by deadlines and participate in inventory process to ensure items are available to support merchandising programs and product promotions
- Exhibit merchandising skills by attractively displaying products considering seasonality, cross-merchandising opportunities and corporate programs with the aim of educating and enticing customers
- Assist with meal preparation and planning by providing customers with proper serving guidelines and recommending correct cooking techniques, helping to make great meals easy
Maintain a safety focus by ensuring safety standards are followed, teaching safety practices to employees, looking for ways to improve safety, solving safety problems, and looking for ways to exceed safety standards and reduce risk potential
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Managerial/ supervisory experience
- Knowledge of and passion for food, beverage and pairings
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 5 – 20 pounds with a maximum weight lifted greater than 50 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to various allergens and work environments including cold temperatures and wet conditions
- Work may require the safe and proper handling of knives and food processing equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.