A glimpse at the job:
Providing incredible service to customers starts with providing incredible service to employees. Employee Representatives serve as an invaluable resource for employees for a variety of situations including career development, problem-resolution, and employee benefits and services. In this HR generalist role you will also partner closely with managers to on-board employees, preserve our culture, and maintain a compliant, safe, harassment-free environment where all employees may realize equal success and opportunity. As an effective Employee Representative, you will possess an ability build relationships and a desire to make a difference in the lives of others.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible service to employees by building rapport, spending time engaging in conversations, being a presence throughout the store and becoming invested in their professional lives
- Acting as an employee advocate and liaison between employee and store management, listening to all sides of a situation and working to find fair and balanced solutions
- Ensuring all employees are given every opportunity to succeed by working with department managers and/ or team leaders to provide additional training, one-on-one coaching, development opportunities, etc.
- Being approachable and accessible to answer any questions employees may have, being sure to utilize the correct resources and following in a timely manner to ensure s/he receives an answer
- Working with employees to help set and achieve realistic career goals; providing additional information about positions they are interested in posting for, reviewing resumes, conducting mock interviews and ensuring they are provided with the tools and training needed to be successful
- Partnering with Managers and staffing departments to forecast staffing needs and determine the most efficient ways to fill positions and recruit the best new talent
- Following proper interviewing and selection practices; providing timely feedback to candidates, extending offers and ensuring background checks and all pre-hire paperwork is completed
- Ensuring compliance by adhering to all processes, procedures and practices including, but not limited to, work schedules of minors, full time and part time work schedules, employees injured in the workplace, workplace violence and harassment incidents, etc.
- Overseeing performance review process, taking time to work with Team Leaders or Department Managers to ensure employees are receiving the most valuable, timely and fair feedback on their performance
- Ensuring employees are educated about and actively involved store and company-wide programs and events
- Being involved in disciplinary actions, ensuring fairness and coaching Managers about the best way to approach situations with employees; sitting in discussions with employees when necessary
- Administering Wegmans scholarship program, ensuring students are meeting requirements and work standards
- Facilitating Wegmans recognition program and organizing associated events
- Role modeling our Who We Are values
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Knowledge of or experience working in retail operations and/ or experience working as a Human Resources generalist
- Proficient in Windows-based software include Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word)
- Proficient at establishing internal and external relationships
- Demonstrate strategic staffing techniques by recruiting skilled and diverse applicants, forecasting staffing needs based on trends, asking probing questions to determine best fit and creating staffing plans
- Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
- Exhibit organizational agility identifying and establishing relationships with people in the company who can get things done and use formal and informal channels effectively
- Cross-functional collaboration: initiate dialogue around different points-of-view to find a common ground; lead interdepartmental teams, facilitating organizational consensus and creating synergies to arrive at the best business outcome
- Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
- Effectively deal with ambiguity, handling risk and uncertainty with comfort, maintaining effectiveness in the face of change and acting on decisions without having the total picture
- Use multiple resources to analyze data for abnormal findings, further investigating where warranted and identifying cause-effect relationships impacting the data
- Advise others within the organization, as well as external business partners, using relevant knowledge and skills to ensure that sound business decisions are made.
- Use action planning techniques associated with completing tasks including scoping out the length and difficulty of projects, breaking down work into processed steps, managing deadlines and making adjustments for multiple demands.
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Successful management of a retail/ food service department or two year related work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or a related field of study
- High level knowledge of retail and the Human Resources industry
- Experience working with an applicant tracking system
- Experience working with Lawson
- Able to quickly assess business trends and issues and translate them into effective business responses
- Possess strong listening skills and hear many points of view without bias, asking clarifying questions to check for understanding
- Use available resources to pursue goals and challenges with the intent of achieving results, striving for continued excellence and taking appropriate risks
- Works involves continuous interaction with co-workers in fast-paced environment
- Work includes sitting for prolonged periods, along with repetitive hand and arm movements
- Work requires frequent use of the telephone and computer
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1 – 5 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 10 pounds occasionally
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.