A glimpse at the job:
As a Management Trainee, you will take part in an accelerated training program allowing you to work hands on with products and customers to strengthen your skills and enrich your knowledge of our business operations; enabling you to become an effective leader in our stores. You will learn about Wegmans values, business measures, standards and operations with the aim of becoming a successful Department Manager upon completion of this program. If you’re a motivated self-starter looking for the chance to launch a store operations leadership career, this could be the opportunity for you.
I will add value by:
- Acquiring the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to effectively manage a department, working through program modules and taking part in seminars as well as weekly and monthly meetings with a trainer and mentor to monitor progress and set goals
- Working hands-on with products, customers and team members to best understand all aspects of the department
- Learning all parts of department management; fully understanding people development, leadership and financial aspects including controlling expenses and understanding how these affect the bottom line
- Developing or enhancing the following skills: product mix, driving sales, culinary knowledge, meal preparation and planning, teambuilding, managing contribution (profit) and developing diverse leadership
- Being responsible for performance results, employee development, continuous improvement, compliance and overall customer satisfaction through knowledge based selling skills and managing through Wegmans values and business measures
- Seeking and recognizing opportunities to drive sales in a variety of ways throughout the department by providing incredible customer service, cross-merchandising with other departments and highlighting featured products
- Fostering two-way communication with Department Manager, mentor and trainer; being sure to seek out performance feedback and work towards growth and professional development
- Recognizing employees for their contributions to the department and ensuring resources are available for them to do their jobs effectively
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Demonstrated ability to lead a group
- Understand, recognize and implement the company values; striving to make a difference by empowering employees and promoting high standards and excellence in all areas (Who We Are)
- Use performance and career development tools to manage and develop others, working with employees to set and achieve individual and department goals
- Practice proper planningandstaffing techniques which include managing time and resources
- Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
- Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
- Ability to multi-task and react to a variety of situations at one time
- Exhibit merchandising skills by attractively displaying products considering seasonality, cross-merchandising opportunities and corporate programs with the aim of educating and enticing customers
- Practice proper ordering techniques to complete orders by deadlines and participate in inventory process to ensure items are available to support merchandising programs and product promotions
- Demonstrate customer relations skills by building relationships with customers and practicing good judgment in ensuring customer satisfaction
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Leadership experience or aptitude, including a prior supervisory/ coordination role in a work setting (including Service Team Leader role at Wegmans), professional group, service-based affiliation, etc.
- Graduate with a 4-year degree and/ or prior management experience including but not limited to, interviewing, selection, disciplinary action, employee development and managing financials
- Assist with meal preparation and planning by providing customers with proper serving guidelines and recommending correct cooking techniques, helping to make great meals easy
- Control inventory levels and expenses such as payroll and shrink to impact bottom-line contribution (profit) for the department
- Work generally involves continuous interactions with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Work may require proper and safe handling of knives and other cooking or baking utensils
- Specific motions, weight lifting requirements and temperature conditions will vary by department
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.