A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, we take pride in our ability to educate our customers and provide them with unique products they can’t find anywhere else. With over 700 varieties of cheeses and other delicious items, our Olde World Cheese department does just that. As a Customer Service team member, you’ll have a part in ensuring customers have access to the freshest cheeses as well as the knowledge needed to make educated choices. If you’re looking for the opportunity to share your passion for food and increase your knowledge, this could be the position for you.
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers, answering any questions they have about products, being sure to offer suggestions and ways to complement or complete a meal
- Seeking to learn about the different varieties of cheeses and other products in the department to grow and develop professionally, being certain to share acquired knowledge to better assist customers
- Setting up cases and coolers, ensuring they are properly signed and well-merchandised to display quality; being sure to highlight featured products
- Cutting, wrapping, weighing and labeling cheeses for display in cases and as customers request
- Pulling cheese from cases; properly recording out waste, trimming, rewrapping, reweighing and labeling products to ensure only the freshest items are available for customers
- Demonstrating a knowledge of and passion for cheese, beverages and pairings while performing product demos; proactively offering customers samples to educate them about the variety of cheeses available and creating an environment where they can ask questions and increase their food knowledge
- Working with team members to ensure the overall appearance of the department is maintained, cases are cleaned, product levels are sustained and supplies are available in all areas of the department to meet customer and employee needs
- Properly handling products, using equipment and keeping accurate logs in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired productknowledge
- Learn, use and be able to explain Wegmans sanctioned cookingtechniques to assist customers for their success at home
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Working knowledge of, and experience working with, a variety of cheeses
- Knowledge of and passion for food, beverages and pairings
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 5 – 15 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of greater than 50 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to various allergens and environments, including cold temperatures
- Work includes the safe and proper handling of knives and other cheese cutting equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.