Not sure what types of jobs you are interested in?
Based on Your Education
A glimpse at the job:
The job of the Floral Designer is to assist customers in creating unique designs for home decorating, educating customers on how to make simple hand tied bouquets and arrangements through classes and live demonstrations, and helping customers to plan and execute special events.
I will add value by:
- Leading employees by example to provide incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers, offering floral suggestions and recommendations suited to their needs, answering any questions about products and ensuring they have the knowledge to properly care for their purchases at home
- Leading design classes and conducting live demonstration on the selling floor, teaching customers simple hand tied bouquet and design techniques
- Providing consultations for weddings and other special events, working with customers to create themes and arrangements to meet their style and budgetary needs; overseeing the event and ensuring success
- Utilizing an understanding of profitability in order to maximize profitability with respect to proper markup procedures while eliminating waste
- Continuously maintaining knowledge of flower origin and plant care and handling
- Staying up-to-date on current industry trends to offer customers the most innovative and cutting edge arrangements
- Arranging flowers in a multitude of shapes and sizes applying color techniques
- Paying special attention to detail in making arrangements
- Producing floral pieces for in-store sale as well as local delivery orders
- Educating and ensuring team members are properly handling products and using equipment in accordance with safety guidelines, understanding the fragile nature of flowers and plants
- Meeting all corporate guidelines, following proper processes and procedures and executing plans as prescribed
- Maintaining open lines of communication with team members and Floral Manager to ensure smooth department operations
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
1-4 years of design experience in a retail florist shop or similar
Successful passing of an onsite Floral Design test
- Understand, recognize and implement the company values; striving to make a difference by empowering employees and promoting high standards and excellence in all areas (Who We Are)
- Practice proper planning and staffing techniques which include managing time and resources
- Work towards continuous improvement to encourage change; find ways to increase profitability and productivity; and improve processes, products & customer service in the department(s)
- Use data analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment, and past actions as well as input from other sources for decision making, always considering the impact on customers, sales and contribution (profit)
- Control inventory levels and expenses such as payroll and shrink to impact bottom-line contribution (profit) for the department
- Ability to multi-task and react to a variety of situations at one time
- Practice proper ordering techniques to complete orders by deadlines and participate in inventory process to ensure items are available to support merchandising programs and product promotions
- Exhibit merchandising skills by attractively displaying products considering seasonality, cross-merchandising opportunities and corporate programs with the aim of educating and enticing customers
What will set me apart from other candidates:
5 or more years of design experience in a retail florist shop
- Drive knowledge based service by encouraging employees to learn about products and providing hands-on training that can be used to educate both customers and employees
- Practice process management, organizing and coordinating activities and/ or people to get things done through execution and monitoring of recurring processes to achieve a high level of performance; separate and combine tasks into an effective workflow by maximizing resources and providing assistance when needed and supervise output ensuring standards are adhered to
Work includes walking, standing for up to 4 hours without a break, repetitive hand and arm movements, frequent lifting, bending, and reaching, along with continuous interaction with customers and co-workers. Work involves exposure to cold temperatures. The average weight range of items lifted is 1–10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds occasionally. May be exposed to various allergens (things that may cause an allergic reaction).
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.