What is my job:
To support all aspects of corporate income taxes, for all jurisdictions Wegmans operates, by providing tax research, analysis, reporting, and project coordination to ensure compliance with applicable tax laws.
How do I make a difference?
Continuously Improving Results
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of various aspects of Wegmans financial reporting for income taxes (ASC 740); including preparation of corporate tax accruals, deferred tax calculations, FIN 48 reserves and related footnotes for external financial statements.
- Assist in the preparation of all federal and state income tax returns for all legal entities within the company including; compiling tax information from various systems, analyzing the results to provide accurate information and assisting with the completion of tax filings
- Perform tax research, analyze and advise on appropriate tax alternatives
- Respond to ad hoc requests for information/analysis in a fast paced operating environment
- Stay up to date with changes in the various tax laws, identify potential impact to Wegmans and work with management to design and implement changes as applicable
- Facilitate and participate in multiple special projects and analysis as necessary; work cross functionally throughout Wegmans and with external tax accountants and advisors to implement procedures to address changing legislation and maintain regulatory compliance, while minimizing tax exposure
- Assist in gathering data, performing research and analysis needed during tax audits to ensure accurate reporting and identification of potential challenges
- Keep projects on schedule and communicate project status, challenges and recommend solutions to management
Providing Incredible, Knowledge Based Service
- Collaborate with internal and external business partners to evaluate proposed business initiatives with focus on tax implications and risk and implement procedures to address the tax impact
- Use expertise and knowledge to advise on process improvement and ensure compliance
- Communicate effectively in multiple formats to all levels of management and adapt to the audience as appropriate
Living Who We Are
- Support, encourage, and respect co-workers
- Work with supervisor to set and achieve goals for professional development
- Comply with Wegmans Policies and Work Rules, as well as, federal and state laws
- Maintain open lines of communication with supervisors and coworkers to ensure the most efficient operations in the department
What skills, learnings, and experiences are required?
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Finance or related discipline/equivalent experience
- 3 years corporate tax experience; with a solid understanding of tax code, technical aspects of tax preparation and compliance
- Excellent tax research skills and advanced knowledge of CCH or other tax law subscription services
- Minimum 2 years accounting experience, with solid understanding of accounting for income taxes
- Strong technical research skills and experience with the ability to obtain accurate conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of management.
- 2 or more years of progressive tax compliance and/or tax consulting experience
- Good understanding of multi state, multi-business tax complexities
- Computer experience using Microsoft products: Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to think creatively when new business changes or laws are proposed to enable operations to remain cutting edge while minimizing the tax exposure
- Effectively deal with ambiguity, handling risk and uncertainty with comfort, maintaining effectiveness in the face of change and acting on decisions without having the total picture
- Coming up with new, unique ideas using creative thinking while making connections among previously unrelated notion
- Cross-functional collaboration: initiate dialogue around different points-of-view to find a common ground; lead interdepartmental teams, facilitating organizational consensus and creating synergies to arrive at the best business outcome
- Exhibit organizational agility identifying and establishing relationships with people in the company who can get things done and use formal and informal channels effectively
- Use multiple resources to analyze data for abnormal findings, further investigating where warranted and identifying cause-effect relationships impacting the data
- Use action planning techniques associated with completing tasks including scoping out the length and difficulty of projects, breaking down work into processed steps, managing deadlines and making adjustments for multiple demands
- Advise others within the organization, as well as external business partners, using relevant knowledge and skills to ensure that sound business decisions are made
- Possess strong listening skills and hear many points of view without bias, asking clarifying questions to check for understanding
- Use available resources to pursue goals and challenges with the intent of achieving results, striving for continued excellence and taking appropriate risks (Managing the 5 Measures)
- Use critical thinking to solve complex and difficult problems with effective solutions skillfully questioning multiple sources for answers, seeing the underlying and hidden problems and patterns beyond obvious symptoms to address root causes
- Experience with project management, communicating goals and responsibilities to the team being sure to monitor performance against a project plan and effectively applying project controls. Include project stakeholders, team members, and subject matter experts in order to get things done
- Experience with risk evaluation: proactively identifying areas of potential risk exposure, thoroughly analyzing the situation to ensure the financial investment of a solution makes sense and implementing cost-effective controls to mitigate risk
What skills, learnings, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart?
- Works involves continuous interaction with co-workers in fast-paced environment
- Work includes sitting for prolonged periods, along with repetitive hand and arm movements
- Work requires frequent use of the telephone and computer
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1 – 5 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 10 pounds occasionally
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
- All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed