A glimpse at the job:
At Wegmans, we strive to help our customers live healthier, better lives and are able to do this by offering a variety of delicious, unique fresh fruits and vegetables in our Produce department. As a Customer Service team member in this department, you will be part of the team responsible for ensuring customers have access to produce from around the world. If you’re looking for the opportunity to increase your knowledge about products and share your passion for food, this could be the position for you!
I will add value by:
- Providing incredible customer service by proactively approaching customers, educating them about unique produce offerings, making suggestions for meal solutions and helping locate products throughout the department
- Trimming and cutting fruits and vegetables to maintain the appearance of the products, ensuring the freshest high quality items are available for customers
- Cutting, packaging, weighing and labeling a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables for easy “Take It” meal solutions
- Unloading and breaking down deliveries; stocking displays and backroom with products; refilling products to meet customer needs and rotating for freshness
- Familiarizing self with products in the department, understanding how different varieties of fruits and vegetables are supposed to look and smell and recognizing the difference between organic and non-organic products
- Seeking to expand knowledge about the wide variety of products available in the department to grow and develop professionally, being certain to share acquired knowledge to better assist customers
- Working with team members to maintain the overall appearance of the department, ensuring products are well-merchandised in displays that showcase quality and Peak of Perfection items
- Properly handling products, using equipment and keeping accurate logs in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines
- May be exposed to various allergens and work environments including cold temperatures and wet conditions
- Work may require the safe and proper handling of knives and food processing equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
Candidates must be available Sunday to Saturday between the hours of 7am to 9pm
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Utilize resources to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics, being sure to share acquired productknowledge
- Learn, use and be able to explain Wegmans sanctioned cookingtechniques to assist customers for their success at home
- Has knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide knowledge based service to assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience, preferably in a food service, grocery or retail setting
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 5 – 20 pounds with a maximum weight lifted greater than 50 pounds occasionally
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.