Note to candidate:
Must submit to a Driver's Abstract & Criminal Background Check. Additionally, anyone driving a non-CDL type company vehicle (i.e. box van or stake body truck) may subject to evidence of satisfactory completion of a recognized driver training program.
A glimpse at the job:
In the role of a Handyperson, you will ensure equipment throughout the store is operating properly and will seek to prevent major breakdowns and avoid problems by taking crucial preventative maintenance measures. Collaborating with the Maintenance team, you will use your skills and knowledge to perform minor repairs to help maintain the appearance of the store and provide incredible service; ensuring a safe and clean working and shopping experience.
I will add value by:
- Working with Store Maintenance mechanics and Coordinators to perform preventative maintenance and repairs on various equipment within the store, including refrigeration and HVAC equipment, especially self-contained cases
- Performing minor repairs on doors, shelves, and fixtures as well as painting, floor and ceiling tile repairs using basic carpentry skills with the aim of improve/ restoring the appearance of the store
- Assisting with small in-house projects and general maintenance repairs include changing belts on fans, repairing carts and racks, lubricating hinges, dock plates and bearings, and performing basic plumbing repairs
- Contacting vendors and other outside contractors when equipment repairs are needed, overseeing their work and communicating pertinent information; assisting when appropriate
- Creating and maintaining records on all equipment worked on for input into 7i (computerized reporting system)
- Maintaining open lines of communication with Store Manager and maintenance team members, being sure to prioritizing responsibilities and requests and attend to most critical tasks first to ensure smooth and efficient operations throughout the store
- Properly handling all products and using equipment in accordance with safety guidelines
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Sound mechanical ability
- Experience in refrigeration and HVAC or other related maintenance or repair work
- High school diploma or GED
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others’ points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible.
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Possess delegation skills and clearly communicate expectations in a positive way, assess employees' abilities when assigning tasks and follow-up to ensure their completion
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, lifting, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1 – 10 pounds with the maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds rarely
- Work is performed indoors with some exposure to seasonal outdoor temperatures and weather
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.