A glimpse at the job:
If you enjoy working outside year-round and have been looking for the opportunity to leave a lasting impression on others, then look no further! A Wegmans Helping Hands Coordinator could be the perfect position for you. In this role, you will work closely with the Front End Manager to oversee a team of Helping Hands employees, ensuring their success and development. You’ll keep the parking lot clear of shopping carts and safe for our customers as well as lend a “helping hand” by assisting customers to their vehicles and completing their visit to the store in a positive way.
I will add value by:
- Overseeing the training and development of the Helping Hands team, seeking advice from Front End Manager and reporting any issues or concerns that arise
- Leading employees by example by proactively providing incredible customer service, approaching customers and asking if they need assistance loading purchases in their cars and offering to give or take shopping carts
- Ensuring the team is promptly responding to pages from cashiers to help customers load purchases into their cars
- Building rapport while assisting customers by engaging them in pleasant conversation, offering a smile and assuring they are treated well during their experience; being sure to follow all company-wide established Helping Hands programs
- Delegating tasks to team members, being certain to provide timely feedback to help employees progress
- Maintaining open lines of communication with Front End Manager, Service Team Leaders, team members, cashiers and Front End Coordinators to ensure customer and Front End needs are being met; tasks are prioritized and completed in all weather conditions
- Maintaining the appearance and safety of the parking lot, vestibule and landscaped areas; ensuring shopping carts are not scattered about, all garbage is picked up, snow is cleared and salt is laid out, as necessary
- Ensuring customers have easy access to shopping carts by gathering carts from the parking lot and corrals and bringing them back to the vestibule
- Keeping shopping carts clean and dry, wiping them down in the snow or rain, and offering additional services during inclement weather
- Educating employees on the safe and proper handling of products to ensure customers’ purchases arrive at their destination in the condition they left the store
- Assisting Front End team members by running registers as necessary to minimize customer wait time at check out and attending to maintenance issues if additional assistance is needed
What abilities I must bring to the table to be considered:
- Provide incredible customer service, greeting customers and answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Possess teamwork and diversity awareness by listening to others’ points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Recognize and seek opportunities for continuouslearning to gain new understandings, skills and knowledge
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring food and human safety practices are strictly adhered to
- Possess organizational skills, prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines
- Able to problem solve, anticipating, analyzing, and identifying problems, responding quickly when situations arise and preventing problems when possible.
What will set me apart from other candidates:
- Customer service experience in a grocery or retail setting
- Managerial/ supervisory experience
- Write and speak clearly, concisely and with tact in a variety of settings using effective communication skills; demonstrating empathy and respect for others at all times
- Possess delegation skills and clearly communicate expectations in a positive way, assess employees' abilities when assigning tasks and follow-up to ensure their completion
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Work includes walking for long periods of time
- Work is primarily performed outdoors; will be exposed to seasonal outdoor temperatures and weather conditions
- Typical motions include pushing, pulling, moving and lifting
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 10 – 20 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds rarely
- May be exposed to various allergens
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a physical, drug screen and/or criminal background check.
About Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 62-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The family-owned company was founded in 1916. Wegmans is recognized as an industry leader, an innovator, and is known for its strong commitment to the communities where it operates stores. It has been listed among Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For in America" for five consecutive years.