What is my job:
The job of the Sous Chef is to act as a liaison between the Restaurant Chef de Cuisine and the culinary team; partnering closely with both to create, plan and prepare the highest quality one-of-a-kind menu offerings for our guests. In this role, the Sous Chef acts as a culinary role model while ensuring the kitchen is operating efficiently and profitably, being the driving force in ensuring all members of the culinary team receive challenging tasks and are training to grow and develop in their roles with the goal of exceeding guest expectations.
How do I make a difference?
Providing Incredible, Knowledge Based Customer Service
Educate employees throughout the restaurant on menu offerings; make sure to share knowledge to ensure they are able to prepare items. Work to eliminate knowledge barriers and exceed guest expectations for both food and service
Prioritize tasks in the kitchen to ensure items are prepared on time and all the items for a table are completed simultaneously so the integrity of the food is maintained when servers present the meal to guests
Ensuring High Quality Products & Ingredients
Ensure all employees are properly handling products and using equipment in accordance with food safety and safety guidelines, as well as complying with applicable State Restaurant Health Codes and Regulations
Lead the kitchen staff by example when preparing menu offerings as ordered by guests; ensure proper recipes and cooking techniques are followed so food is prepared and presented with a consistent outcome that showcases high standards of quality and guests receive a meal they can’t receive elsewhere
Continuously Improving Results
Work with restaurant management to drive efficient restaurant operations and sales; assist the Restaurant Chef de Cuisine in overseeing the culinary operations including budget, scheduling, payroll, and its culinary offerings, etc. while effectively managing all costs pertaining to back-of-the-house
Work to ensure the most efficient and effective operations by assisting and overseeing team members while prepping, executing and breaking down kitchen stations; ensure ingredients, supplies and equipment are ready to be used so meals can be prepared for guests without setbacks or delays
Utilizing shrink when appropriate to reduce product cost and waste
Living Who We Are
Provide each employee the opportunity to be successful by ensuring necessary resources are available, performance reviews and feedback are provided in a timely manner
Interview, select and arrange training of new team members, and manage personnel issues
Lead by example and use the Who We Are philosophy to create an empowering and safe work environment, ensuring employees are complying with Wegmans policies and procedures
Work hands-on with employees to teach, encourage, and empower them to take on new responsibilities while utilizing training and career development planning tools to monitor progress
Maintain and encourage two-way communication by reaching out and getting to know all employees
Accept diversity of people and thought by leveraging differences to make the department stronger,
and listening to others’ perspectives and including them in decision making processes
What skills, learnings, and experiences are required?
- One or more years experience as Sous Chef with supervisory responsibilities in an upscale/fine dining restaurant
- Experience working in a multi-faceted food service facility, including establishments such as restaurant, hotel, country club, conference center, casino, etc.
- Demonstrate teambuilding by communicating a common purpose, empowering team members to contribute their best and selecting candidates with a variety of skills and styles for inclusion on the team.
- Use available resources to pursue goals and challenges with the intent of achieving results, striving for continued excellence and taking appropriate risks (Managing the 5 Measures)
- Possess strong listening skills and hear many points of view without bias, asking clarifying questions to check for understanding
- Practice process management, organizing and coordinating activities and/ or people to get things done through execution and monitoring of recurring processes to achieve a high level of performance
- Drive knowledge based service by encouraging employees to learn about products and providing hands-on training that can be used to educate both customers and employees
- Have a feel for business and collaborate with others to coordinate merchandising programs and other strategies focused on meeting customer needs, inspiring others to act on the merchant vision. Analyze market area and benchmark with competition to identify unique products and services
- Display and order for freshness: ensure a consistent and fresh look across the department that highlights the peak of perfection with the freshest product available
- Use personal experience and passion to act as a source of culinary knowledge to educate customers and employees while evaluating financials to ensure quality and maximize results
What skills, learnings, and experiences are preferred and will set me apart?
- Three or more years of total culinary experience prior to or with Wegmans
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts
- Managerial/ supervisory experience of a restaurant kitchen environment
- Successful completion of the Culinary Management Trainee program
- Diverse culinary experience, including working with a variety of food in a variety of regions and/ or cultures
- Work includes standing, walking for prolonged periods of time without a break, repetitive hand and arm movements, bending, reaching, frequent lifting, and occasional heavy lifting, along with continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment. Work involves exposure to various work environments, including temperature changes. The average weight range of items lifted is 5–10 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 40 pounds occasionally. May be exposed to various allergens (things that may cause an allergic reaction).
- Employment at Wegmans may be contingent upon your completion and our evaluation of a drug screen physical and/or criminal background check
- All Applicants will be screened; only those closely matching the job posting will be interviewed
- A cook-test will be administered to determine skill set and ability to efficiently create a dish that will fit Next Door by Wegmans food style, volume, creativeness and food cost parameters