Visa Inc. is a global payments technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
Visa does not issue cards, extend credit or set rates and fees for consumers. Visa's innovations enable its bank customers to offer consumers choices: Pay now with debit, ahead of time with prepaid or later with credit products. From the world's major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes their lives easier and helps grow economies.
Behind the Visa brand are more than 8,000 talented employees who continuously raise the bar with innovative solutions and products that deliver the convenience and security of digital currency to more people all over the world.
The Data and Information Products team is a key part of Visa's Product development group. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. We are an integral part of the Loyalty, Commercial Services, Back Office Processing, Business Intelligence and other core revenue generating areas within Visa.
Our team remains dedicated to building on past success for our customers. We are committed to leveraging Visa data in the most efficient, secure way in order to maximize the profit potential of this vital corporate asset. We maintain 10+ PB of data with over 90 data systems for our lines of business, product development and bank customers, and provide services on behalf of our traditional customers to millions of cardholders and merchants around the world. Our applications are on the cutting edge of technology, and we are viewed as innovative leaders within our industry.
Visa has one of the largest and most valuable, comprehensive payments data stores in the world….and it is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team.
This position reports to the Director for the Large Scale Analytics Platforms and is based in Foster city, CA. The role is that of Lead Software Engineer. The successful candidate will act as a technical expert and work directly with multiple project development teams in order to translate business requirements into executable designs on the platform. The job involves system architecture, administration, design, development and project support in a fast moving dynamic environment. The successful candidate will ensure superior levels of customer satisfaction by enabling and supporting this state of the art data mining and analytics environment for strategic analytics at Visa. Success in this role will require technical depth and a customer focused demeanor with a self motivating personality and a strong work ethic; Superior communication skills verbal, written, listening and presentation are a must.
- Translate business requirements into architecture and design for implementation on the platform. Define application architecture for project teams including appropriate development tools, target platforms, workflow, interfaces and presentation layers.
- Work directly with project development teams to enable successful project implementation on the Hadoop platform. Provide expertise to project team engineers.
- Set up project environments including Development and QA environments. Includes SW install, data population, security set up, etc.
- Work with Architecture and Development teams to understand usage patterns and work load requirements of new projects in order to ensure the Hadoop platform can effectively meet performance requirements and service levels of applications.
- Develop and enhance platform best practices and educate Visa developers on best practices.
- Troubleshoot issues on jobs runs; debug complex problems for development teams.
- Develop and deliver application code as required.
- Stay up to date on new tools & techniques on the Hadoop platform.
- Conduct proof of concept activities with key business users in support of advanced business cases.
- Fine-tuning Hadoop platform all the time to get efficient performance.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of technical experience with a focus on open source and large data implementations in the Petabyte range. Business acumen and technical expertise are both required for the role. Experience with multiple open source tool sets in the Big Data space. Experience with both traditional waterfall and iterative rapid release methodologies. Experience supporting Campaign Management, Risk, Payment System or Actuarial groups desired.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience as technical expert organizing and mentoring junior and intermediate level engineers.
- Proven Linux experience including good knowledge of scripting in Shell, Python and Ruby.
- Hadoop Distributed Data Files System experience including.
- Experience with Hive, Impala, Sqoop, Flume, Spark, Solr, Sentry and Yarn.
- Managing Workflow with Apache Oozie.
- Knowledge of SQL databases like Hbase and Cassandra is a plus.
- Good understanding Search Architecture and Implementation
- Minimum of four year technical degree required
- Certified Hadoop Developer and Administrator status preferred.
- Knowledge of SAS software is an asset.
- Experience on Cloudera and Horntonworks distribution preferred.
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”