The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The Dean's Office in the School of Nursing has an outstanding opportunity for a Web Informational Specialist.Under general direction of the University of Washington School of Nursing (UWSoN) Manager of Learning Technologies, the Web Information Specialist performs web site product design and authoring; determines content and appropriate technology; and conducts usability testing.
The incumbent will be required to function at a journeyman level in multiple areas of Web Development and Information Technology. The position requires expertise at understanding broad technical knowledge requirements. This position requires a commitment to client service, the ability to work collaboratively in a changing environment, and the skill to work with members of the University community (faculty, staff, and students) who have diverse technology skills.
The UWSoN is one if the nation's top-ranked nursing schools and a national and international leader in improving the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities through education, research and service. It is also one of the top schools in the country in nursing research funding from the NIH and other sponsoring institutions. This position provides a critical role in the enhancement of student education and technical support for UWSoN faculty and staff. This position provides excellent client services and support, maintains maximum uptime, and provides a secure and friendly environment that is conducive to advancing education. This position will play a key role in supporting the on-going mission and strategic plan of the School of Nursing, ensuring that UWSoN initiatives are aligned with those designated and performed by UW-IT.
- Create new web site applications, web pages, and project websites. Meet with current and prospective Health Sciences Principal Investigators (PIs) to determine outcomes and objectives for web-based and other electronic media in support of providing web-based curriculum and research outcomes to students and the general public.
- Plan, implement and review functional specifications, including graphics and applications.
- Communicate with a variety of Health Sciences training and research grant PIs to implement grant project goals related to public and internal web pages.
- Work with clients and Lead Designer to develop storyboards, mock-ups, and other aspects of web-based media projects.
- Refine equipment and software specifications to fulfill project requirements dynamic, scalable, and reusable interactive applications.
- Consult with colleagues and clients regarding appropriate educational uses of interactive and video technologies.
- Work collaboratively with e-Learning programmers to incorporate object-oriented applications to enhance multimedia projects and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Multi-media/Video production capabilities such as mobile media videoconferencing, editing with multiple platforms, an understanding of multiple complex audio/video configurations, and basic knowledge of video control-room signal switchers
- Use graphic design and web design tools and best practices to create and implement clean, effective, professional, visually appealing, and accessible interactive components, websites, video assets and user interfaces.
- Independently identify, research, recommend optimal web design, and determine appropriate equipment/software purchases.
- Explore software applications, design trends, standards, techniques, and best practices for delivering educational technology.
Consultation with Faculty
- Consult with instructors regarding technical, organizational, and conceptual questions or concerns about incorporating multimedia and design in distance learning.
- Make recommendations regarding adoption of new tools and practices.
Evaluation of Systems and Assets
- Analyze current implementation of interactive media technologies and services and develop systems enhancements to streamline systems and identify potential efficiencies.
- Conduct usability tests for existing and new web pages and applications, incorporating the web site's purpose, audience, content, and compatibility.
- Ensure adherence to Section 508 guidelines.
- Meet with users and user groups to review prototypes and live materials.
- Create and maintain appropriate documentation.
- Perform other duties, as required to support the mission and strategic plan of the SoN.
For detailed information on Benefits for this position click here.
Bachelor's Degree in Communication, Marketing, or a related field plus two years media development experience.
- An equivalent combination of education/experience may substitute for stated requirements.
- Experience developing high-impact content for internet delivery and identifying creative delivery strategies for both high and low-bandwidth environments.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
- Knowledge of video and audio editing; knowledge of compression software including
Adobe Premiere, AfterEffects and/or FinalCutPro, Real and Windows Media, Sorenson and formats including Video for Windows, Windows Media and MPEG.
- Prior use of Adobe Flash & Actionscript, After Effects, or current use of Adobe Edge tools.
- Prior experience with instructional technology, or the creation of interactive learning components.
- Experience with the Canvas LMS, Moodle, or other learning management systems
- A background in graphic design / visual communication.
- Prior experience with video conferencing systems, particularly Adobe Connect.
Condition of Employment:
- Must be able to respond to emergencies outside of normal working hours.
- Office space in Health Sciences T-wing provided.
- May occasionally be required to support computer systems at the UW Tower facility or other SoN facilities located away from the UW Campus.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.
Apply for this job
var _gaq = _
About University of Washington
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest state-supported institutions of higher education on the Pacific coast. The Seattle-based university has earned an international reputation for research, and its graduate programs are some of the most highly rated in the nation. It is a leader in such fields as drama, dentistry, medicine, nursing, health services, astronomy, computer science, molecular biotechnology, oceanography, biostatistics, physics, physiology, pharmacology, geography, sociology, and social work. The university currently enrolls 35,000 students.