The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences pursues a balanced commitment to knowledge discovery, teaching excellence, and high-quality clinical care by capitalizing on the resources of our vibrant academic and regional community. Our psychiatry residency and psychology internship programs, specialty fellowship programs, and post-doctoral research fellowships attract exceptionally talented individuals who are among the most academically competitive applicants in the country. The scale and diversity of our faculty and clinical sites, coupled with the richness of the UW academic community, the emphasis on evidenced based treatments, and the culture of scientific inquiry allows us to provide comprehensive, leading-edge clinical and research training experiences.
The Advancing Integrated Mental Health Solutions Center (AIMS) currently has an outstanding opportunity for a Web Computing Specialist. This individual will develop and maintain sophisticated, interactive online software applications and web servers that support the delivery of integrated behavioral health services in primary care settings. This position requires a high level of independence, accountability and time management, as these applications are used in the delivery of healthcare services by hundreds of clinics around the United States and Canada. This position is responsible for operations-critical software applications and web servers that must be responded to immediately to prevent downtime during clinical service delivery hours as mandated in our contracts with user organizations.
This position is responsible for creating, modifying and supporting clinical software applications that facilitate mental health services provided in hundreds of primary care clinics around the United States and Canada and insuring that the system meets HIPPA and other regulatory requirements as specified in contracts with the University. This position communicates regularly with these external users of the software system and those interactions must reflect positively on the University. His/her success affects dozens of existing service contracts, the ability to secure additional contracts and the delivery of clinical services to patients in healthcare settings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop, adapt and maintain a variety of interactive web applications designed to support innovative healthcare delivery. Includes programming and user interface design.
Design sophisticated and complex databases and adapt existing databases using MySQL.
Write specifications, document data systems and develop and run tests.
Load databases and software applications onto web servers, insuring that HIPAA and other security and privacy standards are met and maintained at all times.
Consult with end users at healthcare organizations about requirements for developing or adapting systems that best meet their needs.
Administer and maintain servers and backup hardware
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our benefits website.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, plus three years of related experience.
- Minimum three years of experience programming web applications using WebObjects or similar application server framework.
- Minimum five years experience programming in Java.
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented design, software development design patterns, and best practices.
- Minimum three years of experience with all areas of the development process including project definition, requirements gathering, system design, implementation, testing and documentation.
- Proficiency in database development using MySQL; ability to write complex SQL statements.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Demonstrated experience with:
- Developing software using the Scrum agile software development method.
- Relational databases design concepts and best practices.
- Creating ER Diagrams with MySQLWorkBench.
- MySQL administrative tool phpMyAdmin.
- Eclipse software development environment.
- Source control management systems (specifically, GIT) and code branching/merging strategies.
- Understanding of Mac OS X.
- Unix programming/scripting experience or equivalent.
- Retrospect backup and recovery software.
- Security concepts such as authentication, authorization, and access control.
- Developing infrastructure services and deploying them to production environments.
- Design specifications, organized and documented code, automated tests and system monitoring tools.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, at user's level of understanding and to interact positively with a wide variety of people.
- Prioritize work appropriately and to work effectively both as a team member and independently.
- Previous work in a major university setting.
- Experience designing and supporting complex clinical tracking and information systems.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and IT development in a healthcare environment.
Condition of Employment:
This position is required to work evenings and weekends as necessary to insure that the active clinical software applications being used by healthcare settings are available during healthcare delivery hours. All software and web server upgrades and changes must be completed after business hours (across multiple time zones) to insure there is no disruption for end users. This position is also required to share responsibility for 24/7 response to emergencies with the web server and to respond to emergency service calls when he/she is on-call.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this job
var _gaq = _
About University of Washington
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest state-supported institutions of higher education on the Pacific coast. The Seattle-based university has earned an international reputation for research, and its graduate programs are some of the most highly rated in the nation. It is a leader in such fields as drama, dentistry, medicine, nursing, health services, astronomy, computer science, molecular biotechnology, oceanography, biostatistics, physics, physiology, pharmacology, geography, sociology, and social work. The university currently enrolls 35,000 students.