This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree with major coursework in field of assignment and no experience required.
Two (2) years college with emphasis in coursework in field of assignment and two (2) years of laboratory experience at level of Laboratory Technical Assistant or equivalent.
High school graduation or GED and four (4) years laboratory experience to include two (2) years at level of Laboratory Technical Assistant or equivalent.
Performs routine scientific and medical research work in science area such as biology, chemistry, physics, or other related scientific field.
Assembles and/or operates various laboratory equipment and apparatus.
Records research data in accordance with prescribed procedures, discussing results with supervisor.
Assists in collection of data for project reports.
Reads literature and confers with supervisor concerning implementation of new procedures.
May plan for, and provide working supervision to, work of laboratory personnel of lower grade engaged in limited phase of research project.
Performs other duties as assigned.
* *Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Work closely with the laboratory staff, following laboratory procedures and protocols.
* Maintain zebrafish stocks and the fish facility.
* Perform genetic experiments to generate zebrafish mutants.
* Analyze mutant phenotypes using microscopy.
* Provide routine technical support, such as preparing standard media, reagents, and chemical solutions.
* Perform basic molecular biology experiments, including PCR, DNA prep, cloning and electrophoresis.
* Document and report experimental results.
* Undergraduate degree required.
* Two years of lab experience preferred.
* Experience with zebrafish work highly preferred.
* Work requires precision and attention to detail. Candidate must be able to organize and prioritize work and follow through on assignments. Must be able to work successfully as part of a team.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; gender, including sexual harassment; age; disability; citizenship; and veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
About University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
The University of Texas at Austin, the largest component of The University of Texas System, is a major research university and home to more than 48,000 students, 2,700 faculty and 17,000 staff members. From teaching and research to public service, the university's activities support its core purpose - to transform lives for the benefit of society through the core values of learning, discovery, freedom, leadership, individual opportunity and responsibility. The mission of The University of Texas at Austin is to achieve excellence in the interrelated areas of undergraduate education, graduate education, research, and public service.