The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II is to coordinate and conduct experiments and carry out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, physics and other biomedical or related basic science areas. Construct, assemble and operate laboratory apparatus and equipment. Read literature and confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested.
Depending on interest and lab needs, any combination of the following techniques may apply:
1. Human tissue culture; conjugation of immunoglobulins; basic and original genome instability experiments, immunofluorescence staining and fluorescence microscopy, basic molecular biology techniques (RNA, DNA and protein) including Western blotting and PCR; mice colony handling and related tasks.
2. Willing to learn and perform basic and advanced molecular techniques.
3. Must have measurable experience in molecular and cellular biology techniques, be able to accurately pipet, follow protocols and perform accurate calculations as needed for the conduct of the work.
4. Must maintain accurate, detailed records and experimental data and protocols,
5. Communicates and summarize results for presentations, peer reviewed publications and internal communications.
6. Performs common lab routine maintenance as needed.
7. Other duties as required.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
About University of Texas M.D. Anderson
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center once again is the top hospital in the nation for cancer care, according to the U.S. News & World Reports annual "America's Best Hospitals" survey.
This is the fourth time in the past five years that M. D. Anderson has achieved the lead ranking. It has been ranked as one of the top two hospitals for cancer care for 19 years since the survey began.
M. D. Anderson specialties earning national rankings also include ear, nose and throat (4); urology (9); and gynecology (16).