o University of Oregon College of College of Education invites applications for full-time Analyst Programmer in the Center on Teaching and Learning. This is a re-posting of an earlier search.
o The Center on Teaching and Learning (CTL) is a community of scholars whose mission is to conduct, translate, and disseminate research which is focused on solutions to practical problems in schools. The Data System (http://dibels.uoregon.edu/data/index.php) is a web-based application and database that allows schools and districts to enter student roster information and literacy assessment data online. It is a tool for educators to aid in the early identification of students who are not progressing as expected and monitor their progress while they receive additional instruction.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE: ... a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in systems analysis and related programming support functions generally obtained by a bachelor's degree in computer science, or an equivalent amount of training and applied experience.
In addition the position requires:
* Proficiency in object-oriented programming using PHP or similar languages.
* Experience designing and writing software to interact with relational databases.
* Experience building web applications using Zend Framework or similar MVC.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field with three years experience in developing web applications.
* Experience with MySQL - writing, optimizing, and debugging complex queries.
* Proficiency with Subversion, Git, or other similar version control systems.
* Experience using systematic and logical approaches to root cause analysis in a large, complex web-based software system.
* Proficiency in design principles, architecture, and behavior of modern database systems.
* Proficiency in creating effective web application interfaces that are usable and accessible; familiarity with web accessibility standards, such as Section 508 and W3C WAI recommendations.
* Experience with educational research.
* Experience working with research scientists and supporting their data analysis needs.
* Experience developing web applications for Linux/Unix servers.
* Experience creating dynamic user interfaces via AJAX or similar solutions.
* Knowledge and experience with advanced database features, such as replication, stored procedures, and triggers.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: As part of a large research team, this position performs programming and software engineering duties for a secure web application supported by a database backend. Duties include:
... designing and developing new software features for the Data System and modifying existing Data System features; determining best implementation for new features within existing database structure and how to modify structures to support new features; designing and developing object-oriented solutions; designing web pages that meet accessibility standards, such as Section 508 and W3C WAI recommendations; integrating third-party and partner data and products into the Data System.
... maintaining up-to-date documentation on all aspects of the Data System; providing administrative and technology support to other Data System personnel during billing cycles; providing administrative or technology support to Data System personnel, such as data cleaning and custom SQL queries. SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS: To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe your experience designing and using relational databases in web application development. In your response, describe your experience working with SQL, including your understanding of database concepts such as data normalization, SQL syntax, and database optimization.
2. Describe your experience programming with PHP and experience with integrating this with SQL database queries. Give specifics as to how you have integrated PHP and SQL, including the use of object models, function calls, control structures, and security precautions regarding data sanitization.
4. Describe your experience working as a developer in a collaborative environment, including version control, documentation, bug tracking, and communication.
APPLICATIONS: Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to: Human Resources 677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400 5210 University of Oregon Eugene, OR 97403-5210 Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews. This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application process, please contact us for assistance.
Human Resources - 677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400 - 5210 University of Oregon -
Eugene OR, 97403-5210 - Located near the corner of 12th & Hilyard Office (541) 346-3159 - Fax (541) 346-2548