Not sure what types of jobs you are interested in?
Based on Your Education
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Advancement Operations develops and delivers the centralized business systems and services that support the work of UC Berkeley's 30 decentralized fundraising units-helping them collaborate and communicate in order to maximize their collective results.
The Information Technology (IT) unit provides strategic planning and analysis, systems administration and programming, and a full range of related services to the campus and University Relations' advancement staff of more than 600 clients. IT manages the Campuswide Advancement Data System (CADS), the campus's system of record for biographic alumni information and institutional giving, with records on almost one million individuals and corporations that are campus donors, prospective donors, students, alumni, faculty, and friends of the University. IT also provides comprehensive network, desktop, and related services to all University Relations staff. IT partners with the campus's Information Services Technology (IST) unit and outside consultants to deliver network, security, applications, and hosting solutions to University Relations and the campus advancement community.
The incumbent is responsible for development of SOAP/WSDL and/or RESTful web services and Online/Mobile/Table-enabled applications. This is an agile development unit that uses a test driven development approach to build quality into its software throughout the development process. The applications need to focus on elegant UI design, smooth performance on large databases and fast search technologies as per the requirements of University Relations.
- Design, Build and Publish web services for SOA infrastructure.
- Design, Build and Deploy web applications with modern UI technologies.
- Design, Build and Deploy mobile web applications
- Analyzes complex programs or formulates logic for new systems.
- Performs advanced coding and tests/debugs complex programs.
- Initiates and designs conversion and system implementation plans or participates in developing portions of plans.
- Prepares highly complex programming documentation and obtains approval from users/senior managers.
- Maintains and develops security configurations.
- Experience in designing, developing and delivering simple web services (SOAP/WSDL, REST)
- Programming experience in Java/J2EE platform with frameworks such as Struts, Hibernate
- Familiarity with mobile web development for phone and tablet platform
- RDBMS (Oracle and SQL Server), SQL, PL/SQL
- Web servers, Web application servers (Tomcat, Apache etc).
- Experiencing using a software develop lifecycle process such as RUP
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within an agile development environment.
- Ability to prepare and deliver standards, guidelines and policies for web and enterprise development.
- Ability to design good UI's (eg: Ensures a consistent look and feel across all customer-facing solutions by promoting a uniform applications branding strategy in collaboration with other campus Advancement business units).
- Has worked in a collaborative environment (eg: Collaborates with other developers and technical leaders to develop, establish and enforce best practices).
- Has brainstormed and formulated cutting-edge product breakthroughs, defined high-level designs and requirements, and advised on development efforts and prototyping.
- Must have good interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Can translate business needs into long-term architecture solutions
Salary & Benefits
Commensurate with experience
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
About University of California Berkeley
About UC Berkeley
UC Berkeley is renowned worldwide for the distinction of its faculty and students, the scope of its research and publications, and the quality of its libraries. Its academic departments consistently rank among the top five in the country. The faculty, renowned for both teaching and scholarship, includes seven Nobel Laureates and 28 MacArthur Fellows. Library facilties are excellent and can be accessed remotely. The UC Berkeley Library collection contains more than nine million volumes. Traditional library materials are supplemented with electronic databases, books, and journals.