Teradata Labs, the technology research and development (R&D) organization within Teradata Corporation, has been turning innovative decision support technology into business results for over 30 years. Our R&D team of analytic architects, database developers and engineers work to understand and advance emerging technologies to invent the next wave of cutting-edge analytic data solutions.
Platform Software Engineer
Candidate will actively develop software and solutions as part of the Teradata Physical and Virtual Environments engineering team. The focus of the team is to deliver the Teradata suite of technologies into a variety of physical and virtual environments to expand the reach of our software. The team designs, implements, and tests software associated with these deployments as well as provides support associated with these deployments. The candidate will have responsibilities during all phases of the software development life cycle: independently analyzing and enhancing existing designs and implementations or generating new designs and implementations; defining work breakdowns, identifying tasks, and creating project schedules; generating test plans, test cases, and executing tests to validate software using "white box" and "black box" techniques; resolving software issues related to own implementation as well as related implementations; and contributing knowledge of emerging technologies and processes to enhance our Teradata solutions.
This position is located in one of four Teradata locations: San Diego (Rancho Bernardo), CA, El Segundo, CA, Santa Clara, CA and Seattle, WA. Teradata's fast-paced, high-tech environment is perfect for individuals seeking to exercise innovation and out-of-the-box thinking to move our state-of-the-art technology to the next level.
* Serve as part of a team that develops and supports the Teradata Platform software that extends the reach of the Teradata software suite of products
* Work individually or side-by-side with other team members (as the situation requires) to document, implement, and test software in support of the overall solution
* Develop test plans and test cases and execute test cases associated with the software being developed
* Serve as a peer in technical meetings, regular code reviews, and technical planning meetings
* Ultimately be accountable for the quality of the Teradata solutions that are developed by the team
* Subject matter expert - ability to sustaining and make significant enhancements to a product area without constant manager or architect oversight.
* Gather requirements, document design proposal(s), and align with engineering architects on implementation plans
* Interact with senior members of department and incorporate guidance without constant oversight. Able to communicate with authority on subject area and regarded as the considered expert in the designated area.
* BS with 5 years of experience
* US Master's with 3 years of experience
* US PhD with Internships and/or 0 years
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Knowledge of C/C , Python, and other programming and scripting languages
* Knowledge of Unix, Linux, and Windows operating systems
* Excellent grasp of data structures and algorithms to manipulate them
* Excellent understanding of operating system concepts such as scheduling, memory management, inter-process communication, I/O, etc.
* Familiarity with revision control systems such as ClearCase, Subversion, and/or Git
* Familiarity with fundamental database concepts and operation
* Familiarity with software development lifecycle from concept phase through obsolescence
* Familiarity with continuous integration concepts
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment
* Ability to work independently when appropriate
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline and three years of experience or
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline and five years of experience
* Strong communication skills
* Strong background in:
o UI/UX or
o Build/Test Automation and Developer Operations or
o Linux System Security or
o Linux Operating Systems development or administration or
o System storage, Disk Arrays, Linux I/O subsystem
* Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage.
Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
About Teradata Corporation
Teradata Corporation (Teradata) is engaged in enterprise data warehousing (EDW), including enterprise analytic technologies and services. Its data warehousing solutions comprise software, hardware, and related business consulting and support services. Its solutions integrate an organization's departmental and enterprise-wide data (about customers, financials and operations) into a single enterprise-wide data warehouse. Its key software and hardware products include Teradata Database Software, Teradata Platform, Teradata Logical Data Models and Teradata Analytic Applications and Tools. Teradata operates from three main locations in the United States: Johns Creek (Atlanta), Georgia; Miamisburg (Dayton), Ohio, and Rancho Bernardo (San Diego), California. During the year ended December 31, 2008, Teradata launched a new family of data warehouse offerings, also providing customers with the ability to use Teradata for point solutions or data marts, in addition to its core EDW technology.