Not sure what types of jobs you are interested in?
Based on Your Education
Information Technology Function Responsibilities This IT Infrastructure Associate Project Manager will deliver IT projects for the Infrastructure portion of Symantec, which includes networking, data centers, telecommunications, collaboration, and workstation services. Although these projects may include software deployments, they are primarily focused on the underlying system, hardware and utility components that support other IT services. The projects range from operational projects, such as large office moves and equipment upgrades and replacements, to projects that extend and enhance the infrastructure capabilities. Projects may also involve internal deployment of Symantec products, as Symantec has a strong commitment to employ and showcase its own products.
This project manager is an individual contributor (with no direct managerial responsibilities for other employees) who will manage projects through forming and engaging teams with common, well-defined project goals, using leadership qualities to drive team performance, and influencing the behavior of project team members to collaborate in achieving project objectives. The IT Infrastructure Associate Project Manager will employ well-understood and shared methodologies for project organization and execution. Infrastructure projects are delivered within an ITIL framework. In the projects, this project manager will lead teams organized in a matrix relationship with technical management.
The teams for IT infrastructure projects may include any combination of Symantec-internal employees, temporary and contract workers, vendors and outsourced IT service providers. Productive, cooperative relationships are also required across Symantec functional departments such as Workplace Planning (Facilities), IT Applications and Maintenance, Business Solutions, Global Information Security and Compliance. The projects are frequently remotely delivered, and the extended project team is globally dispersed.
Responsibilities for this position also include:
- Manage on multiple active projects of moderate complexity. When a large, complex project is assigned, may work a single project.
- Develop the details of approved project proposals into well-defined scope statements and project management plans.
- Solicit, secure and engage appropriate resources to fulfill project objectives.
- Engage cross-functionally across Symantec departments and functional areas as appropriate to ensure project success.
- Focus and lead project teams to deliver results that fulfill business requirements and expectations.
- Provide end-to-end accountability for project management and delivery.
- Manage scope, budget and schedule according to project plans, actively managing issues and risks to keep projects on track.
- Create and maintain expense forecasts and schedule.
- Track and report on project health, progress and status.
- Employ company-standard and industry best practices for project delivery and infrastructure frameworks.
- Stay current and engaged with Symantec's Project Management Office - its personnel and standard practices.
- Ensure communication occurs and is effective with all stakeholder types in the projects.
- Facilitate project steering committee and governance decisions. Chair steering committee meetings when such meetings are part of the project management plan.
- Demonstrate flexibility working with internationally based team members.
- Foster a cooperative, results oriented and rewarding team environment.
- Ensure all project activities comply with security and change management requirements.
- Ensure project deliverables can be successfully transitioned to operational services.
- Provide quality oversight on all deliverables.
- Establish project success criteria and determine the degree to which the project achieved the stated objectives. Qualifications
BS/BA in Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems and/or equivalent formal training or experience
Minimum of 6+ years of increasingly responsible IT project management experience
Experience managing moderately complex IT infrastructure projects
Prior systems administration experience or management of IT infrastructure personnel and/or vendors is a plus
Familiarity with ITIL; certification is a plus
Planning and project management certification (PMP, Six Sigma) or equivalent experience
Experience with project management tools, methods and governance
Experience with governance and compliance regulatory requirements
Experience interpreting business requirements for IT and acting as a liaison between technical and non-technical team members
Experience with cross-functional, international teams
Negotiation and problem resolution skills
Excellent organizational skills
Outstanding oral and written communication skills
Strong presentation and facilitation skills
Advanced skills in Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
About Symantec Corporation
Symantec Corporation (Symantec) provides a set of security and availability products and services to large enterprises, governments, small and medium-sized businesses, and consumers on a worldwide basis. Symantec helps its customers protect their infrastructure, information and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to information security, availability, compliance and information technology (IT), and systems performance. The Company's delivery network includes direct, inside and channel sales resources that support its ecosystem of more than 44,000 partners worldwide, as well as various relationships with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), Internet service providers (ISPs), and retail and online stores. The Company operates primarily in two markets within the software sector: the security market and the storage software market. (Source: 10-K)