We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer within the W88 ALT 370 Technical Basis and Qualification Department \(Org\. 2134\) to join the qualification team in support of the mechanical qualification activities\. The selected candidate will support the development and execution of the mechanical qualification plans and will be part of a tightly integrated team working to design, develop, qualify, and produce the W88 ALT 370 weapon system\. This position will include specification and documentation of dynamic test and modeling strategies, laboratory and field test activities, test and analysis plan preparation, test execution, and data analysis\. This position will involve technical engagement with experts in structural dynamics, modal analysis and testing, shock and vibration testing within Sandia and with our partner agencies in support of the mechanical qualification test and analysis program\.
This position has exciting growth opportunities and is an integral part of our overall development and qualification effort for the W88 ALT 370\. This position will also include a variety of interactions across the program, including coordination with partner organizations across the laboratory and external interaction with the Navy, NNSA, LANL, and other agencies\. Some travel will be required to support development, test and program needs\. In this role, there is significant opportunity for leadership development, and the successful candidate will be given the opportunity to engage in leadership development activities both independently and as part of the larger team\.
99. An advanced degree \(Masters or PhD\) in mechanical engineering or related engineering or physics discipline\.
99. Possession of a DOE Q \(or equivalent\) clearance and the ability to obtain and maintain and Sigma 15 security clearance\.
99. Experience with accelerometers, strain gages, instrumentation and data acquisition
99. Familiarity with the dynamic effects testing facilities and their equipment
99. Experience with shock response spectra, power spectral densities and signal processing
99. Experience in system engineering of complex systems
99. Experience with NW component or system design, development or production
99. Ability to work independently and in a team environment showing initiative and leadership
99. Motivation to work with a large integrated Systems team with broad interaction
99. Must be able to apply strong interpersonal and communications skills working with a diverse team ranging from skilled laborers to PhD engineers/scientist
99. Demonstrated ability to plan and execute technical work
99. Ability to negotiate competing requirements to give the best system\-level outcome
99. Ability to discover, understand and articulate constraints, options, paths\-forward
99. Ability to manage testing interfaces
99. Strong written and verbal communication skills
99. Commitment to operational safety, security and quality
The Weapons Program Integration Department provides program management and integration support to SNL Systems, Subsystem, and Component project teams and the NNSA Nuclear Weapons Complex \(NWC\)\.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting\-edge work in a broad array of areas\. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
+ Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
+ Extraordinary co\-workers
+ Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
+ Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
+ Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance\*
_World\-changing technologies\. Life\-changing careers\._ Learn more about Sandia at: http://www\.sandia\.gov
\*These benefits vary by job classification\.
Position requires a Department of Energy \(DOE\)\-granted Q\-level security clearance to start\.
This position requires an active Department of Energy \(DOE\)\-granted security clearance before beginning the job responsibilities\. If selected and you do not hold an active DOE clearance, your start date will be affected\.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre\-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications\. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q\-level security clearance, which requires U\.S\. citizenship\.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance\. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment\.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
About Sandia National Laboratories
Sandia is a multiprogram laboratory operated by Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin company, for the U.S. Department of Energy. With main facilities in Albuquerque, NM, and Livermore, CA, Sandia has major R&D responsibilities in national security, energy and environmental technologies, and economic competitiveness.