Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) a nationally and internationally recognized research and development lab based in Washington State is looking for an early career Software Engineer. This is a great opportunity to work with a one-billion dollar government institution that is making a difference in advancing science and helping solve some of the world''s toughest challenges in energy, environment and national security. Our collaborative environment combined with a commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory an ideal place to advance your career and challenge your mind. PNNL is considered an employer of choice and offers excellent benefits including tuition reimbursement plans, excellent health insurance and robust relocation packages.
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is searching for a programmer/developer for scientific and/or technical software application development in the Software Engineering and Architectures (SEA) group. Researchers in the SEA group have the knowledge and experience to design, develop, install and operate complex software systems in support of clients across PNNL''s customer base. The expertise in our group includes systems architectures, software systems engineering, software systems development, and data and information management for large and diverse data (streaming and static). The selected individual will support these capabilities across all phases of the software application development cycle, and may also provide task and project management support.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on projects having national impact as a member of a team of Computer Science professionals. The software engineer will have experience in web programming and web/database development. They will be expected to participate in independent and team software design/development activities, including requirements analysis, system architecture, user experience design, code development, testing, and deployment support. In addition, the developer will proactively engage in the design of systems that provide new organizational capabilities and enable practitioners in a variety of domains to execute their jobs in a more effective and efficient manner. Developers also support outreach activities and client interaction through efforts including written communications, demonstrations, and presentations about technical activities.
The incumbent will report directly to the SEA Technical Group Manager. This individual will work as a junior staff member under the direction of project leads and senior software developers. The incumbent will also work with software users to troubleshoot software problems and will review application logs to determine the cause of errors. Regular attendance will be expected at software project meetings, capability development meetings, and SSE group meetings. The incumbent will also be expected to attend, and be an active participant in software design or usability/requirements gathering meetings with customers and users.
The principle accountabilities of this position include:
* Understand specification of software requirements
* Participation in the software design process, to include architecture and user interface design
* Programming in multiple languages
* Use of software design and development tools
* Use of source code revision control tools
* Software testing, to include the creation of test plans and the development of unit and system tests
* Creation and management of software documentation
A minimum of a Bachelor''s degree with 0-1 years experience or a Master''s degree is required. Expected to contribute professionally, applying basic theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
* Technical Expertise: Development experience with HTML, Java, C/C++, .NET, SQLServer, technologies required. Knowledge of web services, XML, relational database systems, and web/database software experience is desirable
* Experience developing mobile applications is desired
* Experience with developing database aware applications for any of the following databases: Access, SQLServer, and Oracle
* Writing and implementing test plans and automated test procedures
* Experience in graphical user interface (GUI) implementation and design
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field plus 0-3 years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* US Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
*Directorate:* National Security
*Division:* Computational & Statistical Analytics
*Group:* Software Engineering and Architectures (SEA)