Organization and Job ID : Job ID: 302954
Directorate: Business Systems
Division: Information Management Services
Group: Business Information Systems II
Job Description : The Invitation:
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work / life balance makes PNNL an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself, and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement, health insurance, and flexible schedules.
At Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), our mission is to transform the world through courageous discovery and innovation. Our vision: PNNL science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely, and securely. Our values of integrity, creativity, collaboration, impact and courage provide the foundation for all we do. PNNL advances the fundamental understanding of complex computational, chemical, physical and biological systems and provides science-based solutions to some of the nation’s most pressing challenges in national security, energy and the environment. We accomplish this mission through the outstanding research and development activities of our staff, excellence in operations and high-value partnerships. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work / life balance makes us an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake, and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're also in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States and why Money Magazine included it among its top 100 places to live in America.
About this position:
As a National Laboratory, we offer a unique blend of opportunities for the exceptional candidate. This position’s main focus encompasses the design, development, implementation, maintenance, operation, and support of information systems relevant to the administration of PNNL’s operations, programs, finances, property, or other resources. Additionally, there will be opportunities to team with our Research Directorates on projects that directly support our Government clients. Your work will include: partnering with clients to define, build and deliver innovative software solutions to complex business and scientific problems; building effective teams from multiple disciplines; and recommending and implementing technology standards and software development best practices. As a member of one or more of our Project Teams or Service Management teams you are expected to develop knowledge of the goals of projects or clients you are supporting – and maintain a customer service focus commensurate with this position.
Are you a talented software engineer who is ready to play a central role in the design and development of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? Have you demonstrated the ability to be a contributing professional who has started to build a reputation for technical expertise – and want to work in an environment where you are expected to grow at a fast pace? Have you led large and complex tasks that provided innovative solutions to a wide range of complex and ambiguous problems with minimal supervision? Are you experienced in all phases of the software development lifecycle and have a clear understanding of software development best practices? Do you have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings in our software application development and support group.
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
• Provide technical leadership and individual contribution to software development projects across a broad range of technologies and subject areas;
• Analyze existing systems and formulate logic for new systems – defining logic procedures, preparing design documents, test plans, and test results;
• Utilize software engineering best practices through the entire software development lifecycle and recommend changes in development, maintenance, and system standards;
• Collaborate effectively on diverse teams (e.g., Service / Project managers, domain experts, users, and software engineering team) to design and deploy innovative business information systems across the enterprise;
• Work independently, prioritize individual workloads, trouble shoot and remedy problems under pressing deadlines in an operational environment;
• Enhance the technical and professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training;
• Develop and support technical integration strategies for custom and commercial off-the-shelf products supporting diverse domain experts;
• Assimilate knowledge quickly in a variety of domains.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong leadership and a relentless focus on what’s best for our customers and users. That means you continually hold yourself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demand the same of co-workers. Success is believing that you have a positive impact on PNNL’s research and development efforts and that your work makes a difference with our customers and users.
Minimum Requirements : • A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field with 5+ years of experience, or a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field with 3+ years of experience.
Qualifications : • Knowledge and experience in the development and maintenance of complex software systems using software development methodologies and best practices;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
• Familiarity with Agile or Lean programming practices desired;
• Experience in the design and development of web server applications and web services;
• Knowledge and experience in applying software design patterns (such as MVC), using software development tools / rich-client platform development frameworks (such as Visual Studio.NET, Eclipse, and Net Beans), and familiarity with software project tracking / configuration management / testing tools (such as JIRA, Microsoft TFS, Confluence, Jenkins, and Mercurial / SVN)
• Understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts;
• Fundamental knowledge or proven ability to learn skills for database environments such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Hadoop, Greenplum, Netezza, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity : Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.