Founded in 1998, Otter Products has become a global innovator of premium protective solutions for smartphone and tablet devices. At Otter Products, "We Grow to Give." The company's success is measured by this mission and brought to life through the OtterCares Foundation. A seven-time honoree on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies in the U.S., Otter Products was also named one of "America's Most Promising Companies" by Forbes Magazine and one of the "Healthiest Companies to Work For in America" by Greatist. The company is headquartered in Fort Collins, Colo., with offices in San Diego; Cork, Ireland; and Hong Kong.
This is not an entry-level engineering role. We are looking for someone with at least four years of professional engineering work experience specifically with plastic injection molding and high-volume products. Recent graduates without the four years of professional experience will not be considered.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our LifeProof Engineering team in beautiful San Diego, CA. This position will support the product development process by providing technical expertise and creative problem solving skills. This position is designed to aid in the establishment of high quality and innovative solutions for the LifeProof brand and ensure all engineering and design work conforms to high standards or exceeds expectations.
The successful candidate for this position must have a high degree of personal motivation, initiative, intellectual curiosity, and solid communication skills. Experience with plastic injection molding and working in a high volume manufacturing environment are a must. Experience with Solidworks is highly preferred. Do you want to work for a top-notch brand? Do you have the consumer products Mechanical Engineering background we are looking for? If so, keep reading!
* Design innovative, premium protective mechanical products for the LifeProof brand using advanced CAD modeling skills (including surfacing)
* Make design decisions from various cross functional inputs and using a deep knowledge of thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers, adhesives and foams
* Ensure that new products meet all customer requirements through designing robust tests to evaluate product maturity against customer requirements.
* Evaluate test results, determine the root cause of issues and improve product designs.
* Plan and estimate engineering development tasks including design cycle, prototype fabrication, testing/validation and project documentation
* Use SolidWorks on a daily basis to optimize injection molding and other high-volume manufacturing processes
* Use computational tools and methods to solve mechanical engineering problems (structural analysis, tolerance analysis, and manufacturing simulation) in the design phase
* Conduct static and dynamic stress analysis, mechanism design, and tolerance analysis. Quickly formulate product solutions to solve issues leveraging root cause trouble shooting skills.
* Provide solid foundational knowledge in several high volume manufacturing processes and assembly techniques and how those affect product design
* Work with vendors to fabricate prototypes and conduct engineering tests
* Work with Production to ensure smooth implementation of design changes
* Provide input for cost reduction design alternatives and estimate required man-hours for design changes, prototype/testing costs and schedule forecasts
* Generate Engineering Change Orders and coordinate implementation tasks with Production and Marketing organizations
* Prepare for and participate in design reviews as assigned. Utilize results of reviews to improve part quality, cost, manufacturability and time-to-market
* Solicit feedback from tooling and manufacturing engineers, applying proper design for manufacturability
* Work with internal and external parties to build and test prototypes/engineering samples
* Propose feasible alternatives with sufficient detail to select design direction from among options
* May travel (< 20%)="" to="" interface="" with="" other="" otter="" products="" teams="" and="">
* Other duties as required
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required.
* Minimum four years of mechanical engineering experience including developing plastic injection molded products in a high volume consumer product environment required.
* 3D CAD software is required; Solidworks is preferred.
Otter Products is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEOC).
Founded in 1996, OtterBox is highly respected in the design and production of rugged and semi-rugged cases to safeguard technology and other valuables. Built upon fundamentals of hard work, creativity and perseverance, OtterBox is the innovator of premier protective solutions for leading global handheld manufacturers, wireless carriers and distributors.