NWEA has an exciting new opening for Developer, Custom Reports at our downtown Portland location. This is a full-time opportunity with competitive compensation and generous benefits package.
Founded by educators close to 40 years ago, Northwest Evaluation Association™ (NWEA™) is a global not-for-profit educational services organization known for our flagship interim assessment, Measures of Academic Progress® (MAP®). More than 6,800 partners in U.S. school districts, education agencies, and international schools trust us to offer prekindergarten through grade 12 assessments that accurately measure student growth and learning needs, professional development that fosters educators' ability to accelerate student learning, and research that supports assessment validity and data interpretation. To better inform instruction and maximize every learner's academic growth, educators currently use NWEA assessments and items with nearly 10 million students. We are searching for talented individuals who desire to make a difference in education by demonstrating a commitment to our mission: Partnering to help all kids learn®.
The Custom Reports Developer works within Northwest Evaluation Association's Product Engineering/Technical Operations Department as a key member of the Custom Reporting team. As a member of this team, you will participate in the creation, verification and delivery of reporting solutions for partners and educational institutions to supplement our existing reporting products. This position is also responsible for the development of key infrastructure and/or architectural components, processes and tools used by the Custom Reporting Team.
All Custom Reporting team members work together to refine and improve process, ensuring that practices, products and people are striving for continuous improvement.
* Work with Account Managers and other members of the Custom Reporting team to understand the data needed, not just the data requested, and develop a reporting solution to meet the needs and time/cost restrictions
* Create code to develop solutions, run code and produce reports, and work with the team to refine requirements and fix any bugs
* Document the design of all developed reports, queries, scripts, and test plans
* Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of software and tools to continually improve the capability of the reporting environment
* Review individual reports for data accuracy and formatting as well as meeting documented requirements
* Maintain servers and databases used by Custom Reporting and develop solutions to improve the Custom Reporting Infrastructure
* Develop and coordinate automation tasks that enable the rapid and repeated delivery of Custom Reports
* Develop reusable code and functions to improve efficiency
* Communicate effectively with external partners and Account Managers to gather reporting requirements, schedule work, and find answers to questions
* Capture data and report metrics around custom report requests and workload in order to inform process improvement and improvements with NWEA products
* Provide data to Product Management and Product Engineering to inform NWEA's roadmap for reporting
* Create and optimize stored procedures
* Implement SQL Agent jobs
* Develop and maintain SSRS reports
* Perform ad-hoc SQL queries in support of various business initiatives
* Perform quality assurance testing of reports, and facilitate user acceptance testing (UAT) sessions. Ensure quality of the reports prior to delivery.
Skills and abilities:
* Proficient understanding of Structured Query Language, with focus on T-SQL
* Proficient understanding of a variety of reporting technologies (Excel, SQL, SSRS, Tableau, BIRT, etc.)
* Basic relational database administration and schema design skills
* Ability to design, develop, and implement database centric business solutions using enterprise class tools
* Ability to develop complex, highly tuned SQL based Data Manipulation statements
* Understanding of data-modeling concepts
* Ability to create and execute effective unit tests
* Ability to work under tight timelines in a fast-paced environment and works well in high pressure environment with ability to manage tasks at the same time due to dependencies
* Ability to identify barriers to success and propose solutions
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both partner facing and across internal business units and with both technical and non-technical audiences
* High level of initiative and self-motivation
* Demonstrated ability to organize time effectively, determine priorities, and move work forward
* Ability to be flexible within job role to allow for cross training and coverage of duties
* Ability to advocate ideas and to objectively participate in design and process critiques
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field; equivalent combinations of experience and education will be considered in lieu of a degree
* Minimum four years' experience in a software development environment with a focus on data development
* Excellent SQL programming skills required
* Experience with Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or other ETL tools
* Report or visualization development experience using software such as SSRS, Tableau, BIRT
* Experience with software development and data quality best practices
* Experience working in an Agile development environment is preferred, e.g., Scrum or Kanban
* Experience with one or more database environments such as SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle is required
* Business Intelligence development including analytics and reporting tool experience is desired
* Experience developing end-to-end Business Intelligence solutions is desired
* Active Batch experience a plus
NWEA's generous benefits package includes: 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance for eligible employees; company-paid public transportation, indoor bicycle racks, and free on-site parking; convenient location near public transportation near the Pearl District in downtown Portland; additional monthly compensation in the form of flex pay; and a 15% annual employer contribution toward our 403b retirement plan. In addition, NWEA's culture promotes work-life balance. Accordingly, we offer 4 weeks' PTO in the first year, 5 weeks' PTO after the first year anniversary, and 6 weeks' PTO after the second year anniversary and in subsequent years. Our employees also enjoy flexible work schedules.
NWEA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. NWEA's written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.