Req. Id: 1681
Location Name: 1000 MAIN (NRF7)
NRG is leading a customer-driven change in the U.S. energy industry by delivering cleaner and smarter energy choices, while building on the strength of the nation's largest and most diverse competitive power portfolio. A Fortune 250 company, we create value through reliable and efficient conventional generation while driving innovation in solar and renewable power, electric vehicle ecosystems, carbon capture technology and customer-centric energy solutions. Our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrgenergy.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Summary: The IT Architect must have in-depth knowledge of the principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing the activities related to planning, managing and implementing systems analysis and applications development projects and programs. This position provides expertise regarding the integration of applications across business functions and develops complex and business critical overall solutions. The architect is the manager of and has primary responsibility for all the engineering and design work on the project. This role is both a technical contributor as well as a technical manager. A typical architect’s responsibilities might be allocated as follows: 15% schedule, 15% cost and 70% technical performance.
- Responsible for planning, integrating and implementing new technology and providing expertise on decisions and priorities regarding the enterprise’s Client Operations )Windows / Active Directory / Exchange / Citrix / Mobile Technologies / Microsoft O365 and Azure ) infrastructure architecture.
- Establishes relationships with business and technical leaders to provide technical solutions and influence strategic initiatives.
- Participate in decisions regarding the enterprise’s integration and divestiture scoping / planning and execution.
- Leads long-term Client Operations infrastructure technology strategy and planning for the organization. Identifies enterprise opportunities that align with corporate strategy and performance. Aligns architectural strategy with business goals.
- Provides technical leadership and direction. Assigns work to team. Provides input to performance reviews and training needs. Provides after business hours support, as needed.
- Leads the evaluation and selection process for infrastructure technology. Recommends and communicates alternative products and services, solutions, processes and strategies based upon best practice research. Ensures interoperability of products and services.
- Reviews, makes recommendations, and/or approves requests for technology that deviates from the established architecture and technology standards.
- Reviews and consults with users and infrastructure groups on requirements across multiple environments. Provides recommendations for both the design and action plans for system integration or migration.
- Provides guidance and designs changes to system’s configuration based on analysis of performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business. Develops capacity planning models. Provides planning recommendations to management.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses escalated problems. Works with multiple vendors coordinating solutions between users and product suppliers/ manufacturers.
- Assists in development of metrics both within IT and business organizations. Conducts an analysis of metrics for investment to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Communicates with business and technical leaders and team members on a regular basis as to the status of assignments through project meetings, projects status reports, email, etc. Prepares deliverables and documentation executive-level audience.
- Participate and manage the process for designing, coding, testing, debugging, configuring, and documenting operating systems and software.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent work experience.
- 7-10 years of experience within the relevant area of work performed. Experience forming and leading a team from concept through implementation. Project Management experience preferred.
- Participate in the development of long-term Client Operations infrastructure technology strategies for the organization.
- Provide expertise on decisions regarding the enterprise’s Client Operations infrastructure.
- Experience with Microsoft O365 and Azure system design, installation, and administration preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required in order to provide appropriate cross functional support and interaction.
- Experience with compliance requirements in a corporate environment such as SOX and NERC CIP preferred.
- Experience with VMWare and Hyper-V preferred.
- Experience with data center operations is preferred.
- Anticipate new situations and take action to enhance the company's performance.
- Understand and satisfy customer expectations when making business decisions.
- Collaborate across functional boundaries to improve business processes in creative ways.
- Exhibits strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and understand technical information.
- Capable of working independently, effective at managing multiple projects simultaneously, flexible and able to adapt quickly to new or changing situations.
- Fast-paced office environment. Major activities performed on PC. Telephone consultation and support with clients required.
- Duties are performed during standard business hours, but in addition,
- 24-hour on-call support will require some nights and weekends.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
NRG Energy, Inc. (NRG) is a wholesale power generation company. NRG is engaged in the ownership, development, construction and operation of power generation facilities, the transacting in and trading of fuel and transportation services, and the trading of energy, capacity and related products in the United States and select international markets. As of December 31, 2008, NRG had a total portfolio of 189 active operating generation units at 48 power generation plants, with an aggregate generation capacity of approximately 24,005 megawatt, and approximately 550 megawatt under construction, which includes partners' interests of 275 megawatt. In addition, NRG has ownership interests in two wind farms representing an aggregate generation capacity of 270 megawatt, which includes partner interests of 75 megawatt. On April 28, 2008, NRG completed the sale of its 100% interest in Tosli Acquisition B.V. In May 2009, Reliant Energy, Inc. completed the sale of its Texas retail business to NRG.