As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
- Follow safety policies and procedures, observe safe working practices and maintain a safe work environment.
- Ensure that the plant activities are performed within the -Operator Box'.
- Ensure that log books standards are maintained.
- Responsible for the administration of plant H&S programs including but not limited to: Lock-out-Tag-out, QEW, Confined Space, Hearing Protection, Respiratory Protection, Personnel Protective Equipment, Fire Protection, etc.
- Ensure that the Plant Chemistry is monitored and maintained to EPRI standards.
- Initiate accident/incident investigation and provide reports that include root cause analysis and recommended follow-up actions. Review other facility reports for applicable incidents.
- Operate vehicles including trucks, forklifts and other mobile equipment.
- Ensure plant operation adheres to and maintains applicable FERC-NERC standards.
- Monitors Plant security requirements.
- Ensures that predictive maintenance and/or reliability checks are performed and addressed including, Oil, vibration and thermography analysis.
- Plan, schedule and track required individual professional medical certifications, hearing testing and respiratory fit testing.
- Work with procurement to ensure that material purchases are in compliance with applicable H&S regulations including management of SDS files and communication.
- Develop and coordinate the technical training programs in support of Plant Operations.
- Develop and coordinate the testing and skills assessment program for qualifying employees for Combustion Turbine Technicians - Oper within a one year period.
- Develop and implement an annual training schedule to ensure employees complete all mandatory safety, health and environmental, and compliance training.
- Manage the development, review and approval of the power plant operating procedures and checklists.
- Write procedures as needed in support plant operations.
- Perform periodic reviews of existing procedures to meet a goal of every procedure is reviewed at least once every three years.
- This position requires the ability to perform effectively in a team environment, and work well with others inside and outside the company.
- This position requires the ability to work overtime with little or no advance notice and will require some travel.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in power plant operations and maintenance, Combustion Turbine and/or Combined Cycle experience.
- Must have formal training in power plant theory and operation, electrical, mechanical and chemistry fundamentals and theory.
- Must have technical knowledge of power plants systems, natural gas-fired boilers and gas turbines.
- Must be computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, SAP, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Ten years of practical experience in power plant operations and maintenance, Combustion Turbine and/or Combined Cycle experience is preferred.
- PowerGADs experience is desired.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Thorough understanding of dynamics of power plant operations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with personnel at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and perform effectively in a work environment without close supervision.
- Ability to work well with and through others inside and outside the NRG Corporate system.
- Demonstrated leadership characteristic and potential
- Makes all decisions based on the knowledge of policies and guidance from upper management.
- Excellent technical and organizational skills.
- Is a leader and can supervise plant employees when needed.
- Ability to use discretion concerning confidential and sensitive company information.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster
(The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official description on file with Human Resources.
NRG Energy, Inc. (NRG) is a wholesale power generation company. NRG is engaged in the ownership, development, construction and operation of power generation facilities, the transacting in and trading of fuel and transportation services, and the trading of energy, capacity and related products in the United States and select international markets. As of December 31, 2008, NRG had a total portfolio of 189 active operating generation units at 48 power generation plants, with an aggregate generation capacity of approximately 24,005 megawatt, and approximately 550 megawatt under construction, which includes partners' interests of 275 megawatt. In addition, NRG has ownership interests in two wind farms representing an aggregate generation capacity of 270 megawatt, which includes partner interests of 75 megawatt. On April 28, 2008, NRG completed the sale of its 100% interest in Tosli Acquisition B.V. In May 2009, Reliant Energy, Inc. completed the sale of its Texas retail business to NRG.