As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
- Provides electrical engineering expertise for transformers, generators, motors, relays, cables, etc. for Hunterstown Combined Cycle and Heritage Region CTs.
- Provides control system and process instrumentation engineering expertise for transducers, programmable logic controllers, digital controls systems, relays, cables, etc. for Hunterstown Combined Cycle and Heritage Region CTs.
- Serves as NERC Champion for Hunterstown Combined Cycle and Heritage Region CTs. This involves familiarization with current and future NERC Regulations applicable to the assigned facilities. Also, supports and documents the required compliance evidence into the NRG Energy NERC Compliance Databases.
- Plans, coordinates and implements a number of smaller (generally less than $200,000) construction projects directly or by directing/working with project teams, other Company organizations and outside suppliers.
- Independently or as a team member investigates fundamental problems in plant processes to initiate development of recommended solutions to provide the optimal safest, best environmental and economic solutions.
- Serves as lead on conducting root cause failure analysis on electrical and instrumentation/control system equipment incidents and develops corrective action plans to address findings and suggest strategies to prevent similar failures in the future.
- Provides/directs the development of reliable and cost effective conceptual engineering recommendations in response to plant maintenance, operational, safety and environmental needs, as assigned.
- Implements the Company process to obtain authorization of funding for assigned projects, reporting and maintaining expenditures within budget. This responsibility includes becoming one of the Power SAM site experts and project evaluation coordinators.
- Assures complete development of equipment specifications, bills of material, construction specifications, installation drawings, recommended spare parts, lists, and as-built drawings
- Monitors critical outage, maintenance and construction activities for compliance to applicable codes and standards
- Performs outside vendor audits, QA shop surveillance, and interface with authorized inspectors
- Executes all aspects of the start-up and test function on new plant systems and revisions to existing systems
- Conducts and/or coordinates engineering performance tests on plant equipment and makes recommendations, when necessary, to improve efficiency.
- Provides technical, managerial and administrative functions on contracts with various contracted outside firms. Reviews all documents produced by outside consultants to assure conformance with Company policies and objectives, accepted standards, and appropriate engineering policies and procedures
- Provides input to the five-year financial plans for both Operations & Maintenance and Capital in support of Hunterstown Combined Cycle and the Heritage Region CTs generating units
- Supports the development and approval of projects and outages through the NRG Corporate Analysis and Commitment tools.
- Ensures optimum utilization of employees, equipment and material through the coordination of work between the organizational groups.
- Assumes other duties as assigned by General Manager of Hunterstown Combined Cycle and the Heritage Region CTs.
- 4 Year Degree in Chemical, Electrical, or Instrumentation Engineering with 3-5 years experience working with process plant equipment.
- Ability to provide direction to various operational and technical crafts
- Strong planning capabilities and the skills to analyze and interpret data to make sound recommendations to the Engineering Group Leader and to Senior Management.
- Strong customer focus (internally & externally)
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Demonstrates initiative and adaptability
- Willingness to work off-hours as business needs dictate
- Possess a valid jurisdictional driver's license
- Internet experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time and resource management skills
- Ability to direct, motivate, and train and employees
- OSIsoft PI Historian experience with PI ProcessBook and Excel is desired
- Familiarity with Emerson Ovation Suite of Products, GE Fanuc Suite of Products, and Rockwell Product Suite is desirable.
- Familiarity with IP networks and network communications is desirable.
- SAP experience desired
- MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Access experience required
- AutoCAD experience helpful.
Other Essential Job Requirements
- Periodic travel to local plant locations within business unit
- Occasional travel to Cannonsburg, PA and/or Houston, TX for regional meetings, forums and training opportunities
- Demonstrates NRG STRIVE Values, quick learner, shows initiative, strong planning, organizational and communication skills, ability to guide and develop a team, strong analytical skills.
NRG is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Employees are subject to periodic random drug testing and post-accident/for cause drug and alcohol testing.
NRG Energy is an EOE.
Title/Salary Commensurate on Experience.
Official description on file with Human Resources.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official description on file with Human Resources.
NRG Energy, Inc. (NRG) is a wholesale power generation company. NRG is engaged in the ownership, development, construction and operation of power generation facilities, the transacting in and trading of fuel and transportation services, and the trading of energy, capacity and related products in the United States and select international markets. As of December 31, 2008, NRG had a total portfolio of 189 active operating generation units at 48 power generation plants, with an aggregate generation capacity of approximately 24,005 megawatt, and approximately 550 megawatt under construction, which includes partners' interests of 275 megawatt. In addition, NRG has ownership interests in two wind farms representing an aggregate generation capacity of 270 megawatt, which includes partner interests of 75 megawatt. On April 28, 2008, NRG completed the sale of its 100% interest in Tosli Acquisition B.V. In May 2009, Reliant Energy, Inc. completed the sale of its Texas retail business to NRG.