Working for Mercy General Hospital, Sacramento
Mercy General Hospital was named one of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals, according to Solucient, an information products company that provides tools and insights to help hospitals improve overall performance. There were only four California hospitals receiving this designation.
Mercy General is listed among 20 hospitals in the large community hospital category.
For more than 75 years, Mercy General Hospital, Sacramento, has carried on its founding Sisters' Tradition of healing with compassion. Our vital statistics-343 beds, 1900 employees, 360 active medical staff, and 17,250 patients admitted annually-speak to our strength and presence in the community. We're proud to be regarded as one of the area's most comprehensive and accomplished medical centers.
We're also proud of the recognition our teams have received in the wider world. Since 1997, we've earned a spot on three prestigious 100 Top Hospitals lists: Top 100 Hospitals, National Benchmarks for Success; 100 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals; 100 Top Hospitals: Regional Benchmarks for Success. And the 2004 HealthGrades annual hospital report card ranked Mercy General's cardiac program among the best in California.
If you're interested in joining teams that meld quality care and compassion to create an environment of excellence, please take a moment to discover more about what it's like to work here. Our Work Environment
Our mission-based philosophy of patient care infuses our work environment, fostering teams that are collaborative, friendly and intent on quality. It also creates a place where patient and caregiver can learn from each other, sometimes developing strong bonds that can last a lifetime.
We're bolstered by the presence of the Sisters of Mercy, the sponsors of our hospital, as they are an incredible resource and support for our staff. The healthcare mission of Mercy is directed by our core values of dignity, excellence, justice, and stewardship, which make our workplace unique.
We also put strong emphasis on learning from our staff. Our leaders will listen to your ideas and concerns and recognize your contributions. Working within a caring team that respects your voice, you'll know that your individual efforts are critical to our ongoing drive for excellence.
As the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country and capital of the world's fifth largest economy, Sacramento is a dynamic city offering a wealth of cultural, economic and recreational possibilities. Time magazine just recognized Sacramento as the most diverse city in the country for 2003.
Sacramento's mild climate is an ideal backdrop for enjoying the city's many attractions, which include shopping, restaurants, golf courses, and the Sacramento Zoo. We also host the River Cats AAA baseball team and the Western Division Championship professional basketball team, the Sacramento Kings. Further, Sacramento is home to some 40 art galleries and dozens of museums, including the world-renowned Crocker Art Museum. Old Sacramento, a 28-acre town of historic buildings, museums, and monuments, preserves a Gold Rush ambiance with wooden sidewalks, horse-drawn carriages, and Mississippi-style riverboats.
What's more, situated midway between the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the east and the Pacific coast to the west, Sacramento is the ideal starting place for a sweeping array of adventures. Mountain skiing, hiking, and camping, San Francisco attractions, coastal beaches, and the rich Napa Valley are yours to discover, all within an easy two-hour drive.
In recognition of what you give to us, we've created a compensation and benefits package designed to support you and your family. To help you create a plan that meets your unique needs, we provide flex dollars for some items, which you can apply as you see best. Highlights of our benefits include the following:|
Because your growth is essential to our development, we've created options to help you enhance your skills.
First, we'll reimburse 75% of your tuition and some other expenses when you take approved, job-related classes-up to $1,000 annually.
For nurses, we offer paid time off to attend continuing education classes. We provide 40 paid hours each year for full-time RNs, and pro-rated hours for per diem nurses.
We provide services in a wide range of areas, including diagnostic imaging, neurosciences, preventive health and rehabilitation. In addition, you can apply your specialized skills in our three renowned centers:
- Choice of 4 health plans, including one that offers free health care for a dependent; 3 dental plans; and 1 vision plan (flex dollars can cover 100% of employee costs or a portion of dependent costs in selected plans)
- Choice of life and AD&D insurance (flex dollars can cover life and AD&D equal to annual pay for full-time employees and buy 10K life for other employees; additional employee coverage and limited coverage for spouse and dependents are available)
- Long-term disability (flex dollars can cover 40% of pay for periods of extended illness or disability; additional coverage available)
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition reimbursement: Up to $1,000 annually for approved courses
- Continuing education: Up to 32 paid hours a year
- Paid time off, sick leave, and bereavement leave
- Discounts for pharmacy and various recreational activities
- Healthcare and dependent care pre-tax accounts
- Tax-sheltered annuity with some matching funds
- Credit union membership
- Mercy Heart Institute: This award-winning center runs the largest interventional and surgical program in California, performing 1,600 open-heart surgeries, 3,800 cardiac catheter procedures, and 650 electrophysiology procedures each year. We've pioneered numerous cardiac-care management programs, including CHAMP?, HeartSmart, an anticoagulation clinic, and a lipid clinic.
- Mercy Stroke Center: This Center has become a model in acute stroke care for hospitals across the country, and its stroke research ranks with that of Stanford, UCLA, and UC San Diego. We owe our success in part to our team approach to diagnosing and treating stroke patients.
- Ophthalmology: We have one of the highest-volume ophthalmology programs in California, and the largest corneal transplant program in Sacramento. Our research is acclaimed: our ophthalmologists created a surgical procedure to treat macular hole, an age-related eye disease, and we're involved in numerous clinical trials to prevent eye disease and blindness.
- Alex G. Sponos Heart Center:http://www.spanosheartcenter.com
- Sacramento Metro Chamber: http://www.metrochamber.org
- City of Sacramento: http://www.cityofsacramento.org
- Visitor Information: http://www.discovergold.org
- Sacramento City College: http://www.scc.losrios.edu/welcome.html