We are looking for an experienced Web platform engineer who has the ability to lead the transition to our next generation web platform. This person will be working with development and infrastructure teams to further our move to cloud application design principles. This role will be expected to influence the future architecture and map a path from yesterday to tomorrow for our web application platform.
To be successful, you should have moderate to expert knowledge in most of the following areas:
- DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering methodologies
- Cloud and virtualization based technologies, e.g. Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), VMWare, OpenStack
- Administration of Java, Ruby on Rails, node.js and other web technologies
- Linux/UNIX Administration and Automation
- Developing cloud infrastructure designs and implementations and guiding the process from development to operations
- Most importantly, you should be a creative thinker and leader and be willing to work closely with developers and operations to enable both groups to create and deploy high quality applications faster.
- Work directly with architects and developers to create supportable designs and debug problems.
- Create infrastructure and architecture designs and implementation plans and guide the implementation with the operations team. Continually improving existing designs and finding gaps.
- Make decisions on problem mitigations in critical down time situations when escalation is impractical.
- Scripting (BASH, Perl, Ruby) and building required automation (Puppet/Chef) and tools on an ad-hoc basis.
- Create and deliver knowledge sharing presentations and documentation to developers and operations teams
- Learning on the job and explore new technologies with little supervision.
- Rotating on-call support of production infrastructure and applications and business hours support for development systems.
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
- BS/MS in computer science or related field is preferred.
- 8+ years of total experience with at least 3 years of web administration or full stack development and 2 years of cloud experience is preferred
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Ability to work with and influence software development teams
- Java Application and Java Application Server administration/tuning experience (e.g.: Glassfish, Weblogic, Tomcat).
- Solid experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or VMware vCloud and/or Docker
- Solid Linux experience (eg: Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS) with a focus on web (Apache/Nginx).
- Experience with scripting languages (eg: BASH, Perl, Ruby) and automation tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef, cfengine)
- Understanding of protocols/technologies like SOA, HTTP, SSL, LDAP, JDBC, Servlet/JSP, SQL, HTML, XML.
At MathWorks, we express who we are as an organization through our guiding principle, our mission, and our core values. Developed over time, each represents a philosophy or goal that is intrinsically important to the organization.
Our guiding principle is "Do the Right Thing." This means doing what is best for our staff members, customers, business partners, and communities for the long term, and believing that "right" answers exist. It also means measuring our success, not merely in financial terms, but by how consistently we act according to this principle. Our mission and core values express what "doing the right thing" means in our day-to-day work.
Our mission articulates our goals as a company and how we go about achieving them. Our core values set out the principles that define who we are and how we work together. We invite you to explore these two different ways of understanding MathWorks.