As a manager, the qualified candidate will manage 10-15 the Computer Science Development Group team members, the team is described below. The manager coaches each individual by identifying and developing their technical, professional, and personal skills for a successful technical career at MathWorks.
About the group:
MathWorks’ Computer Science Development Group (CSDG) is a group of recent graduates with Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science. The group’s mission is to hire and grow computer scientists who will build skills towards successful careers as part of the development organization at MathWorks.
This role manages computer scientists who:
- Apply their strong Computer Science knowledge and education to projects of varying complexity and scope within Engineering or QE. This ensures a comprehensive learning experience that prepares the CSDG Team member for long-term success at MathWorks.
- Develop deep product understanding and a customer-focused mindset through working as part of the technical support team to resolve customer questions, further enhancing their ability to contribute to the organization as they prepare to transfer into new roles in Engineering or QE.
- Provide ongoing coaching on career advancement opportunities for the growth and development of team members
- Establish and evolve effective business goals, strategies and processes
- Develop project proposals and drive their implementation
- Interview and hire qualified entry level computer science candidates
- Provide guidance on customer case management, response time, and teamwork in providing technical support to our customers
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
- BS or MS degree (Engineering/Computer Science degree required)
- 2-5 years management experience (software company preferred)
- Customer-facing experience (consulting, technical support, application engineering)
- Effective leadership and coaching skills: ability to guide, motivate, and inspire others
- Excellent communication skills--written/verbal, keeps others informed, involves the right people in decision making
- Proactivity and displays strong initiative
- Has the ability to envision processes and procedures to address working dynamics within the group
At MathWorks, we express who we are as an organization through our guiding principle, our mission, and our core values. Developed over time, each represents a philosophy or goal that is intrinsically important to the organization.
Our guiding principle is "Do the Right Thing." This means doing what is best for our staff members, customers, business partners, and communities for the long term, and believing that "right" answers exist. It also means measuring our success, not merely in financial terms, but by how consistently we act according to this principle. Our mission and core values express what "doing the right thing" means in our day-to-day work.
Our mission articulates our goals as a company and how we go about achieving them. Our core values set out the principles that define who we are and how we work together. We invite you to explore these two different ways of understanding MathWorks.