One of the foremost public policy research organizations in the United States, Mathematica Policy Research is leading the way in providing health care research services to federal agencies, including the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
We are seeking an intellectually curious SAS Programmer Analyst in our Oakland, CA office who is passionate about using big data to answer research questions that influence decision making in U.S. health care policy. Individuals with an interest in confronting the challenges of working with large, complex data sets, an interest in data manipulation and analysis, and a desire to become a subject matter expert in health care data are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Working with large secondary data sources such as Medicare and Medicaid administrative claims data and survey data to effectively answer research questions about health care policy
* Interpreting requirements and specifications to develop performance measures based on cost and quality of care for evaluating the effectiveness of numerous health care policies
* Articulating findings and working with researchers to adjust specifications and code as interim results are found
* Evaluate the potential of creative ideas for service delivery and payment models to improve the health outcomes and well-being of patients, and to reduce spending for Medicare, Medicaid, and other payers
* Mentor programmers and lead small programming teams
* A bachelor's or master's degree with a strong academic record in economics, mathematics, statistics, public health, public administration, public policy, sociology, political science, or a related field
* 1-5 years of programming experience in a professional or academic environment
* Experience working with administrative data, ideally healthcare data (e.g. commercial claims, hospital claims, and Medicare or Medicaid data), healthcare informatics, or healthcare claims processing.
* Ability to describe technical problems and solutions to a non-technical audience
* Strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to work with others.
* Programming experience using SAS, Stata, R, SQL, or a similar language
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off (and an on-site fitness center). Visit our web site at www.mathematica-mpr.com
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements via our online employment website. Recent college graduates must provide a transcript.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.