Company Name: MARATHON PETROLEUM COMPANY
Location Name: MPC Catlettsburg KY MRT Fleet
Location Address: 100 12th Street, Catlettsburg, KY, United States (US), 41129
Education Level: High School Diploma/ GED Required
Relevant Experience Level: Mid Career (4-10 Years)
Driver's License Required: Yes
Marathon Petroleum Company LP has immediate openings for qualified River Pilots in its Marine Division located in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. Marathon operates on the Western and Inland Waterways river systems. Vessel employees are scheduled on a 28 day on/28 day off rotation and work two six hour watches each day with six hour rest periods in between watches.
Marathon offers a competitive benefits program with comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, flex-benefits accounts, LTD, wellness, and other plans offered. A competitive compensation program which includes an annual bonus program, 401k program, retirement plan, and travel pay for eligible employees make Marathon an employer of choice.
The River Pilot has responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of the tow when the Captain is off duty. This is the entry-level piloting position within the marine group. The pilot is in charge of the safe, efficient and economical movement of product including but not limited to 10 million gallons housed in tow configurations up to 1,200 feet in length while the River Captain is at rest.
- The River Pilot takes direction from the River Captain concerning tow configurations, drop-offs, pick-ups, and the duties of other crew members (deckhands, engineering deckhands, engineers, mates, cooks) on the River Pilot's watch.
- The Pilot will periodically assume full responsibility for the Captain's duties, overseeing the work of crew members (deckhands, engineering deckhands, engineers, mates, cooks) concerning tows, tow configurations, maintenance of vessel, and other operational concerns.
- During duty hours when the Captain is at rest, the pilot has direct control and responsibility of the boat, barges, and crew, and is responsible for safely navigating the tow into river locks.
- The Pilot uses radar to determine the geographic position of the ship to navigate safely through tight spots, locks and other waterway impediments and adverse conditions (darkness, narrow passage-ways, etc.).
- When on duty, the Pilot coordinates the activities of crew members responsible for signaling devices, such as ship's whistle, flashing lights, flags and radio to signal ships in vicinity.
- Uses radar and other navigational aids such as lights, lighthouses, and buoys to avoid bridge abutments, pilings locks, and other hazards to navigate through bridges, bridge pilings, and other waterway obstructions.
- Completes all U.S. Coast Guard, DOT and MPC required paperwork as directed by the Captain.
Qualified applicants must be licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard for multiple competencies according to waters navigated, waters within the area of responsibility, and ship tonnage. Posting on the Western Rivers and/or the Inland Waterways systems is required. Marathon requires applicants be completely posted on one or more of these systems: Ohio, Tennessee/Cumberland, Mississippi, or Intercoastal Waterway.
Qualifed applicants must be able to perform these duties in addition to having a high school diploma, possessing a valid driver's license, and successfully completing pre-employment aptitude testing and medical screening. Successful candidates must also have excellent communication skills, a drive to achieve results, technical and professional knowledge and skills, and a strong commitment to health, environmental, and safety principles.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
MPC is the nation's fourth-largest refiner, with a crude oil refining capacity of approximately 1.7 million barrels per calendar day in its seven-refinery system. Marathon brand gasoline is sold through approximately 5,300 independently owned retail outlets across 18 states. In addition, Speedway LLC, an MPC subsidiary, owns and operates the nation's fourth-largest convenience store chain, with approximately 1,490 convenience stores in nine states. MPC also owns, leases or has ownership interests in approximately 8,300 miles of pipeline. Through subsidiaries, MPC owns the general partner of MPLX LP, a midstream master limited partnership. MPC's fully integrated system provides operational flexibility to move crude oil, feedstocks and petroleum-related products efficiently through the company's distribution network in the Midwest, Southeast and Gulf Coast regions. For additional information about the company, please visit our website at http://www.marathonpetroleum.com.
Job Function: MPC Marine; MPC Refining, Terminal, and Pipeline Operations; MPC Transportation and Logistics
Travel Expected: Up to 100%