Lubrizol LifeSciences is a new and rapidly growing business segment within the Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company. Our innovative and continually growing product line of thermoplastic polyurethanes is helping to link science to life, ultimately improving lives. Our customized polymer solutions provide biocompatibility, flexural endurance, strength, and processing versatility for tubing, catheters, and many other application in the medical device industry.
Lubrizol Life Sciences (LLS) Business Unit serves the emerging medical device industry, and the candidate will get opportunity to work in the development of new materials and polymers for medical market. The job will entail hands-on work as well as customer interaction, problem solving, and working in a team of other scientists and Engineers within LLS. Experience in polymer engineering, processing, mold flow simulation and extrusion is beneficial.
Our Wilmington Massachusetts manufacturing and R&D facility specializes in the manufacturing of custom engineered polymers for various medical and industrial applications. We currently have a need for the following position:
Reseach and Development Engineer
- Hands on polymer synthesis & processing. Focus on thermoplastic polyurethanes but expanding to other polymers as well
- Characterization of polymers such as tensile testing, DSC, GPC etc.
- Manage projects and meet timelines
- Maintain lab records and documents per ISO & GMP standards
- Interact and work with customers on various projects involving new polymer development, troubleshoot processing problems
- Work in a team of scientists and engineers, exhibit teamwork.
- Work with other departments within the manufacturing facility such as Quality, maintenance and Operations.
- Occasional travel to LLS's Applications Lab in Brecksville, Ohio.
- Travel to customers globally
Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Special Physical Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in polymer science, plastics engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science, or related degree.
- 1-2 years' experience in polymer industry is a plus
- Experience with at least some basic polymer analytic methods, e.g. mechanical testing, melt flow index, GPC, DSC, DMA, FTIR, and optical microscopy.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Computer skills - Outlook, MS, SAP. CAD, Solidworks is a plus.