Lubrizol, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a technology-driven global company that combines complex, specialty chemicals to optimize the quality, performance and value of customers' products while reducing their environmental impact. Lubrizol produces and supplies technologies to customers in the global transportation, industrial and consumer markets. These technologies include lubricant additives for engine oils, driveline and other transportation-related fluids, industrial lubricants, and additives for gasoline and diesel fuel. In addition, Lubrizol makes ingredients and additives for home care and personal care products and pharmaceuticals, and specialty materials, including plastics technology and performance coatings in the form of resins and additives.
The Product Safety & Compliance Intern will actively assist the department in ensuring Lubrizol products comply with applicable hazard communication and chemical control regulations. The intern will have the opportunity to learn more about careers in global chemical regulatory compliance and hazard communication while gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in a quickly growing field.
Reporting into Lubrizol’s Product Safety and Compliance Department, interns will coordinate with experts in the field to support the safe and compliant use of Lubrizol’s products. Throughout this experience interns will have the opportunity to: improve their presentation, professional communication, and analytical skills; be given extensive, hands-on training in Microsoft Office, SharePoint, as well as SAP and other valuable enterprise software; increase their overall understanding of corporate and departmental processes in a professional environment; familiarize themselves with domestic and international regulatory procedures and laws through expert guidance; and have the potential to network with professionals across numerous fields.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
• Collaborating with experts in the chemical evaluations of Lubrizol products and raw materials to support our compliance management program
• Learning procedures to contribute to the review of toxicology data used in conducting health and environmental hazard assessments
• Integrating the products of acquired companies into commercial compliance management systems with mentorship from product safety & compliance specialists
• Facilitate ease of access to regulatory information and compliance data through corporate management systems like SharePoint and other industry relevant systems
• Generate Material Safety Data Sheets and other classification materials for globally shipped and manufactured products
• The desire and flexibility to commit to a full calendar year: May 2016 - May 2017. Must be able to work full-time (40 hours per week) during the Summer of 2016 and part-time (10-20 hours per week) during the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters.
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, Management Information Systems, Statistics, Toxicology from an accredited college or university
• Strong interest in and knowledge of organic chemistry a plus
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel a plus
• Professional oral/written communication and interpersonal skills
• Self-motivated and comfortable working in a team environment
With multiple facilities in and around Cleveland, Ohio, Lubrizol is located in one of the largest economic regions in the United States. Buzzing with business, culture, knowledge and entertainment, Northeast Ohio is a vibrant place for people of all ages and walks of life to live, learn, work and play. This region offers a little bit of everything for everyone - ethnically-diverse communities, affordable housing, award-winning schools and universities, world-class healthcare, indoor waterparks and zoos, ski resorts, museums, halls of fame, one of the longest water-fronts in the country, and the most concentrated square mile of art, cultural, education and health institutions in the nation. From making your heart race at Cedar Point, to attending a professional sporting event or biking through 129,000 acres of National Parks, to catching a Broadway show at Playhouse Square - the second largest performing arts center in the country, you can make it happen right here in Cleveland, Ohio.