Lubrizol, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a technology-driven global company that combines complex, specialty chemicals to optimize the quality, performance and value of customers' products while reducing their environmental impact. Lubrizol produces and supplies technologies to customers in the global transportation, industrial and consumer markets. These technologies include lubricant additives for engine oils, driveline and other transportation-related fluids, industrial lubricants, and additives for gasoline and diesel fuel. In addition, Lubrizol makes ingredients and additives for home care and personal care products and pharmaceuticals, and specialty materials, including plastics technology and performance coatings in the form of resins and additives.
Are you a passionate scientist looking for an opportunity to experience work in the chemistry industry? Do you had some laboratory experience and want to know more how a chemistry degree can turn into a career? Do you want to develop professional skills in an encouraging environment with supportive co-workers?
Consider applying for an internship!
You will learn a variety of testing procedures that are applicable to many different disciplines of study. You will learn what skills are necessary to become best in class and gain knowledge about this fascinating specialty chemical industry. You will have the opportunity to grow and develop in a professional setting by attending and participating in meetings, maintaining a balance of responsibilities in your area, and communicating effectively with many groups of people. You will be responsible for a project related to your testing area and present your work to fellow colleagues at the end of your term.
Chemistry Intern – Blend Test Services
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with technicians and chemists to perform analytical and performance tests in a laboratory environment
- Operate lab equipment and instruments with minimal supervision
- Assist in quality control and documentation of testing methods
- Interpret and accurately report data and results to colleagues, sponsors and business partners
- Follow safe laboratory practices
- Present overview of summer work assignment to managers and chemists
- Full time (40 hours / week) during summer term
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate chemistry or related degree from an accredited college or university
- Completed one year of General Chemistry (lecture and laboratory)
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Experience with lab safety procedures
- Knowledge of basic chemical reactions and properties
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
- Willingness to learn and participate in the development of new techniques and test methods
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of team research effort
- Excellent organizational, planning, and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Demonstrate ability to proactively and creatively approach problems
- Full time work (40 hours per week)- 11 week minimum
With multiple facilities in and around Cleveland, Ohio, Lubrizol is located in one of the largest economic regions in the United States. Buzzing with business, culture, knowledge and entertainment, Northeast Ohio is a vibrant place for people of all ages and walks of life to live, learn, work and play. This region offers a little bit of everything for everyone - ethnically-diverse communities, affordable housing, award-winning schools and universities, world-class healthcare, indoor waterparks and zoos, ski resorts, museums, halls of fame, one of the longest water-fronts in the country, and the most concentrated square mile of art, cultural, education and health institutions in the nation. From making your heart race at Cedar Point, to attending a professional sporting event or biking through 129,000 acres of National Parks, to catching a Broadway show at Playhouse Square - the second largest performing arts center in the country, you can make it happen right here in Cleveland, Ohio.