Lubrizol Additives is a pioneering global supplier of chemical additives technologies including additives for engine oils, driveline applications, gasoline and diesel fuel, other transportation related fluids and industrial lubricants. We are committed to providing value to our customers, and we understand that success comes from working together. The Lubrizol Additives team is passionate about what we do. Our customers count on us for trusted expertise,testing confidence, supply assurance and independent strength. We are looking for top talent to help inspire new ideas, create opportunities and enable the advancement of innovative technologies. We offer abundant opportunities for career growth in a challenging, collaborative environment. Learn more about how we are achieving Success Together.
Lubrizol Additives is currently seeking a Research Chemist to join our Colloid & Applied Sciences team. As a member of the Applied Sciences department, you will provide support in the area of colloid science to a variery of business units (including engine oils, driveline fluids, industrial fluids, and others). This includes leading efforts related to fundamental knowledge generation, as well as collaborating with colleagues in other areas on new chemical component development, competitive analysis, and troubleshooting large-scale manufacturing issues.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain familiarity with current literature and recent advances in colloid science
- Apply knowledge of colloid science to support the development of new products, develop new fundamental knowledge, and/or respond to business needs, including leading cross-disciplinary teams in these efforts
- Integrate new technology for new applications and product support
- Troubleshoot and maintain test equipment and procedures
- Generate, organize, interpret, and report data in support of technical projects and service requests. This includes the abuility to draw together complex results and data from a variety of sources and decide unaided how the project should proceed using logic, experience and creativity.
- Perform hands-on research as well as direct and prioritize the work of technical staff
- Develop innovative methods to characterize Lubrizol products and develop fundamental knowledge on their performance.
- Drive projects from inception through completion
- Communicate and interact with a broad range of internal and external customers through technical reports, presentation, and 1-on-1 conversations
- Meaningfully convey technical information across departments and divisions
- Participate in the recruitment, training, and mentoring of technical staff
- Understand the business drivers for the projects you are managing and/or supporting
- Actively participate in Lubrizol safety programs, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and maintain good housekeeping
Skills, Qualifications, Experience, Special Physical Requirements:
- Masters of Science or Ph.D. in chemical engineering, chemistry, polymer science, or related discipline
- Thorough knowledge of colloid science is required. Knowledge of relevant chemistry to lubricating oils and fuels would be an advantage.
- Minimum of two years experience with colloids-related research (including time spent on graduate studies)
- Experience writing technical reports of publication quality, as well as the ability to share findings of research with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated project management experience including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to apply logic, scientific concepts and creativity in the interpretation of data and in the design and implementation of non-standard experiments
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, self-motivated, and well organized
- Ability to travel as required (less than 10%) and willingness to commute to both Brecksville and Wickliffe as necessary
CONSIDERED A PLUS:
- Relevant industrial experience
- Experience or working knowledge of rheology, polymer science, and thermal analysis
- Experience with any of the following equipment or techniques: particle size analyzers, contact angle, surface and/or interfacial tension, zeta potential, assessing dispersion stability, performing adsorption isotherms and/or microcalorimetry
- Experience leading cross-disciplinary research teams
- Strong record of publications and/or patents
With multiple facilities in and around Cleveland, Ohio, Lubrizol is located in one of the largest economic regions in the United States. Buzzing with business, culture, knowledge and entertainment, Northeast Ohio is a vibrant place for people of all ages and walks of life to live, learn, work and play. This region offers a little bit of everything for everyone - ethnically-diverse communities, affordable housing, award-winning schools and universities, world-class healthcare, indoor waterparks and zoos, ski resorts, museums, halls of fame, one of the longest water-fronts in the country, and the most concentrated square mile of art, cultural, education and health institutions in the nation. From making your heart race at Cedar Point, to attending a professional sporting event or biking through 129,000 acres of National Parks, to catching a Broadway show at Playhouse Square - the second largest performing arts center in the country, you can make it happen right here in Cleveland, Ohio.